Another bio pellet question

If bio pellets are crashing a tank can someone explain what it is that they are doing to the water exactly? I know they can lower nitrate and phosphate to quickly but that wasn't the case in my tank. So what is it that they did do cause such damage(if it was them)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert_ellis

Premium Member
Supporter
If bio pellets are crashing a tank can someone explain what it is that they are doing to the water exactly? I know they can lower nitrate and phosphate to quickly but that wasn't the case in my tank. So what is it that they did do cause such damage(if it was them)?

From my experience, and the only way I can explain it, is it just throws the balance off in your system. I think, and it's only my opinion, that it strips more from the water then just phos and nit. I know it can also mess with 02 levels in the water.

From my experience, and the only way I can explain it, is it just throws the balance off in your system. I think, and it's only my opinion, that it strips more from the water then just phos and nit. I know it can also mess with 02 levels in the water.
Interesting, thanks for the input. I still don't really get it lol it's almost doing something to the water without really knowing what I can do to repair the water quality

It does lower O2 but skimmer bring the O2 right back up that's why it's essential to have a good skimmer.

It does lower O2 but skimmer bring the O2 right back up that's why it's essential to have a good skimmer.

Im running a skimmer rated for 400 gallons on my 225. So I was never worried about the o2. Still not sure what the pellets could have done as the levels of phosphate didn't drop much at all. So no shock to the system

Im running a skimmer rated for 400 gallons on my 225. So I was never worried about the o2. Still not sure what the pellets could have done as the levels of phosphate didn't drop much at all. So no shock to the system

How long have you been running your Bio-pellets for? The bacteria needs time to grow and multiply in the chamber so that it could start to drop your Nit and Phos. Then run the return flow from your reactor to the skimmer so that you can skim it all out. IME what happens with a tank crash is that a singular bacteria colony grows out of control and then takes over the system. This is why you want to have a great skimmer so you can catch most of it coming out of the reactor. I also dose 2 different types of bacteria 3 times a week to help seed different colonies so that not a single colony grows out of control.

From my limited understanding, pellets are polymer food for bacteria, bacteria blooms can deplete oxygen in the water. The bacteria bloom can crash a tank and cause you to loose livestock ( i bleached my sps before by adding to many pellets at one time).

From my limited understanding, pellets are polymer food for bacteria, bacteria blooms can deplete oxygen in the water. The bacteria bloom can crash a tank and cause you to loose livestock ( i bleached my sps before by adding to many pellets at one time).
Thanks for the answer! Posted this a while ago but Deff love new life into this thread!!!

+1

Take it slow with the amount of pellets. Increase in small amounts until you reach a level where your satisfied with the outcome.

Latest posts