Tank Cycling - Where's the Nitrate?

CeeJai777

I got a 28g Nano from one of the guys off here which has been cycling for a few weeks now. I used water from an already established tank, sand that I got from someone (rinsed before adding), rock from another member on here who tore his tank down, and filter floss from my established tank.

The nitrites were sky high just two days ago and now read zero. I tested for nitrate expecting to see a high-level and that came back zero, as well. What is going on?

Did you shake the test before using it? Sounds stupid but happened to my friend over and over until he asked me to test his water lol

CeeJai777

I haven't gotten any algae bloom at all...I have never started a brand new saltwater tank (always bought already established tanks)...what do you recommend adding first livestock-wise? I want to get a couple Picassos from Ivan but obviously want to make sure the tank is safe before adding them

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I haven't gotten any algae bloom at all...I have never started a brand new saltwater tank (always bought already established tanks)...what do you recommend adding first livestock-wise? I want to get a couple Picassos from Ivan but obviously want to make sure the tank is safe before adding them
Give it another week and then test. If parameters are fine add a Chromis since they are hardier. Then you can add your Picasso's.

CeeJai777

Give it another week and then test. If parameters are fine add a Chromis since they are hardier. Then you can add your Picasso's.
Yes...I will likely wait until next month to add the Picassos (hope he still has some) I'd prefer to add a fish I want to keep in my aquarium long term...any other ideas?

I'm pretty sure it's coming lol