rodi storage container super high tds

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I bought 2 ace roto mold water containers that got shipped directly from the manufacturer and today I tested the tds and in the containers and it is reading anywhere from 3000-5000+!!!!!

water after the di stage is 0-1. I used 2 different tds meters.

How should i go about cleaning the container. I don't know what would make it so crazy high.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I tested the water in the container for phosphates and it is 0. I have been using them for a few months now and I don't have any algae problems in the tank so I'm going to chalk it up to dust or something in the container that is making the tds reading crazy high.

xmas_one

Is it only testing high IN the containers? If you take some out and put it in a glass is it testing the same? Wondering if you have something weird like a static charge (new plastic containers) going on. Is there anything electrical in the container (heaters/pumps/other test equipment)?

pgr11

Supporter
Don't sweat it. It just the dust or whatever left in the container from manufacturing or shipping. If your phosphate is 0 your fine. If you've ever put salt water in a container then used it for ro later, you will always see tds on a meter.

JOSE CASAS

Premium Member
Supporter
Don't sweat it. It just the dust or whatever left in the container from manufacturing or shipping. If your phosphate is 0 your fine. If you've ever put salt water in a container then used it for ro later, you will always see tds on a meter.
Yes but not that high.......see if after several times you use it, it goes down.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks for the input everyone.

I bought 2 of the containers, one for rodi and one for mixing salt water. I have them plumbed so I can pump water from the rodi to the sw or recird the salt water, because of that if I have both valves open the containers will equalize. I did do that on accident once so there could be some left over salt in the rodi container from that. I have been using these containers for 5 months now.

I have a fluval sp4 connecting to the container (externally) and a heater in the salt water container, neither of which were on while I pulled the sample for testing. When I first got them I rinsed them with the water hose and let them dry in the sun but didn't put any other chemicals in them.

I'll just keep testing it and keep a record to see what happens over time. I had just never seen the x10 multiplier come up on my tds meter before!

Thanks again!

Salt will read super high TDS you are fine as long as your water is 0TDS out of your RODI unit, if you are worried about chloro-mines test your make up water with a pool test strip for chlorine. Any sign of chlorine is bad for the tank and you can use water conditioner to stabilize.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
Salt will read super high TDS you are fine as long as your water is 0TDS out of your RODI unit, if you are worried about chloro-mines test your make up water with a pool test strip for chlorine. Any sign of chlorine is bad for the tank and you can use water conditioner to stabilize.
Thanks! I have these 4 in 1 test strips I use for the hot tub, would that be good enough to test for chlorine/chloramines? Or do I need a chlorine only test strip.

Attachments

any pool chlorine test kit should work. Even with zero TDS I was getting chlorine reading in make up water until I started running two Chloromine stages in my DI system and change filters more often. Anyway my SPS has been much happier since I figured this one out.

Latest posts