Mineral accretion using electricity to stimulate faster growth for sps

Well it already pass April fools day so this sound like one. Using electricity to accelerate growth for corals especially SPS. I have been following this technology for a while but they haven't apply to the aquarium trade but in the ocean this have been done for awhile. The latest craze for accelerate growth and enhance colors for sps are milk and honey dosing but the mineral accretion technology have been out for awhile but more for industrial used than consumer. The concept is simple induce electric current to the sea water to speed up mineralization therefore speed up grow in stoney corals. The current is a mild 25v and I believe they run 24/7. The main company Biorock invent this technology at first to make limestone for building material and Dr Wolf Hilbertz have tweak it for rescuing corals reef around the world. Here are some video regarding the project. If this technology is migrate to the aquarium trade it will be the best break through in reef keeping.

here is some back ground regarding mineral accretion

Mineral Accretion, or the Biorock process, is a new method that uses low voltage direct current electricity to grow solid limestone rock structures in the sea and accelerate the growth of corals providing homes for reef fish and protecting the shoreline. The electrical current causes minerals that are naturally dissolved in seawater to precipitate and adhere to a metal structure.

The result is a composite of limestone and brucite with mechanical strength similar to concrete. Derived from seawater, this material is similar to the composition of natural coral reefs and tropical sand beaches.

Invente d by architect Wolf Hilbertz for construction purposes, mineral accretion has been applied to coral reef restoration by Hilbertz and coral scientist, Tom Goreau. Mineral accretion structures can be built in any size or shape.

This patented process increases the growth rate of corals well above normal, giving them extra energy that allows them to survive in conditions that would otherwise kill them. At the same time these structures attract huge numbers of fish, and also provide breakwaters that get stronger with age.

Biorock reefs, with their lush coral swarming with fish, have become major ecotourism attractions. Hotels in the Maldives, Indonesia, and Panama have built their advertising around the fact that they can offer great snorkeling right in front of their beaches.

here is a link for a video of their project
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx8TV9Kd0ns

enjoys

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
nothing like a little electric shock therapy to get those bones to stretch. lol

I need to get one of those voltage conversion form radio shack and try this out....my frag can grow to a colony in 1 month lol.....

All kidding a side I think this technology is a bright future for reef since the way they can save the reef by making them grow faster and stronger.

Well from first hand i had stray voltage in my tank for about 1 month and most for my zoas did not make it but all my sps was going great at this moment i have 12v in the tank and all my sps is doing really good nice color and nice extension just for some zoas that dont open and others do..

Wow, this is extremely interesting stuff. How do they concentrate it directly to a particular piece without effecting anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the documentary video say that the voltage is low around 25v and the structure build out of steel transfer the current to the coral that tie on to the structure. The positive charge of the current and the negative charge of the salt water accelerate the mineralization of the coral therefore they build their structure faster and thicker than normal coral

Latest posts