Bleaching live rock

Good morning everyone,

I'm starting a new build and just got my rock. I was thinking about bleaching it but I am gonna transfer some of the rock from my current set up.

Should I just cure it instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idk about bleaching, but if you want you can try to boil the rock, or get boiling water and pour it over the rocks if they're too large, I would just cure them and see if any problems arise IE Aiptasia or nudibranch.

Also if you do boil the new rock it won't take too long to "seed" with rock from your current set up.

It's the BRS dry rock. Looks clean I just don't know if it's packed with phosphates.

I have at least two months before I set up. Maybe the phosphates would leach out in that time.

I used the same rock, I put it in a bucket with a power head and a heater, that definitely helped my cycle.

No heating up liverocks in any way unless you really know the science behind such chemical reaction inside out. Otherwise, it can be dangerous.

I don't set them on the stove for hours or anything like that, but pouring boiling water over rocks with algae or aiptasias has worked wonders for me.

Are the steps as follows 1) boil a pot of water, 2) set rocks on a flat outdoor surface, 3) make sure no one is close enough to get hurt, 4) pour boiling water over it, and 5) let it cool down a bit before picking them back up.?

Exactly what I do. No harm done with that.. Like I said prior I've done this for the past 15 years.
Understood. Just that leaving a detailed step by step instruction is probably the most beneficial, especially to ppl who haven't done this before.

After boiling water is poured over the rocks, I suspect we shouldn't get too close to breath in the fume, right? Also, just a random thought, will putting live rocks in a bucket of ice and fresh water do the same damage to aiptesia?

Bleach is just..... Not natural.... It will affect a lot more then some hot water, and who's to say you actually remove all the bleach from the rock? What if you leak bleach into your display?

IMO, the easiest and safest way is to put the rocks in a bin filled with fresh water, then let that sit outdoor under direct sun light.

Latest posts