Been Awhile Since I Updated... Been Busy

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Congrats! That's an awesome idea for a venue.

Your tank is outstanding. I really like that monti section.

Thank you everyone for all the nice compliments.

I'll try to answer all the questions that popped up in the last few days that I missed replying to in a timely manner.

I'm using a Canon 70d with a 35-200 lens. I use it in the Aperature Priority setting. I set the ISO at 1200. The Aperature varies between 5.3 and 9. And I use the custom WB setting in the camera.

I'm running 8 Radions over the tank with a slightly tweaked 20k setting. The intensity ranges from 63 to 78% depending what corals are underneath them. Lights are on from 4pm till 2am.

Sometimes when I shoot I have a Photo Profile programmed into the Apex which runs the intensity up to 100% and adds some more white light to let me use faster shutter speeds. This batch of photos were just the regular schedule.

I'm running a Calcium Reactor and just recently started using Dastaco Media in it (maybe 3 weeks now). Don't know if any major differences. All my top off is via my Kalk Reactor. I have been dosing AcroPower for over a year now and think it really helps with the colors.

My water test from last week I had an Alk of 13 and phosphate of .35. Before the wedding the tank Alk was at 18 - Not a typo "eighteen" and phosphates were .85 - Phosphate readings both times were checked with Hanna and then double checked with Triton ICP.

After some conversations with Jake Adams I am going to start dosing Zinc and Manganese to try to get some deeper/richer colors. Not that I am not happy with the colors currently. But if there is something easy I can do and get even more pop to make Chefzilla jealous I have to give it a try.

Dave B

Hey Guys,

Been awhile since I posted. Not too much has changed. Everything has been left alone and is growing nicely. Tank is running mostly on auto-pilot and I am just responsible for cleaning the glass. My alkalinity has stablized thanks to ACESQ (Art) lending me his CO2 Regulator. I need to buy a new one and haven't been able to either pull the trigger on a Greenleaf, or build my own using a swagelok.

I haven't added any fish or corals for awhile. We had the local club meeting here, and we had a contest to count the fish in the tank. The correct count was 125 fish. I am lazily battling majanos and aptasia. I bought about 30 Peppermint shrimp a few months back. They all vanished into the tank. Then a couple of weeks later while playing with a flashlight at night I find about 15 huddled together in a cave. Right outside the cave are 4 gigantic aptasia which remain untouched.

I had a matted file fish outside in my rock bin, and I have a copper band and there arent any visible aptasia outside. So I caught the filefish and added him to the display tank. He's a neat fish and is cool to watch. He's nice and fat, but I have no idea what he is eating in the tank. I can't see him eating anything.

The majanos are taking over the back wall of the tank by the overflow. I have a majano wand, but am not convinced it's erradicating them. If anyone knows where I can find some large gauge syringes to start kalk injecting them please let me know.

The Xenia are thriving in the tank. I am pruning out about 150 heads of xenia a month. I have given them away to anyone who wants locally.

I finally added a few new corals, so I thought it was time to take some photos. First up is an Efflo that I picked up about 3 weeks ago. I got it and it was pretty brown, but i like the fact that it wasn't flat and had some nice growth nodules in the middle of it. It's starting to get some color to it.

I also got the opportunity to grow out what could be a really special coral. This is a piece of a monti, that is Gold, Orange and Green with blue polyps. This photo was taken when the coral had only been in the tank for about an hour. The deal was I get the coral, and as soon as it triples in size, I give back the new growth.

So those are the new pieces, here are some growth update photos of some of my favorites:

My Grafted Monti

This is part of my clustered cap growth

My Jedi Mind Trick

My Oregon Tort

My shortcake

Here are some shots of the tank

This is looking down the length of the tank

Left side of the tank

Right side of the tank

Center of the Tank

Whole darn thing

Titan/Sal -- Thank you

Reefcube/Jim, That colony is doing well. The two stag above and to the left of it both have grown over the top of it. I just clipped some branches off of them tonight to get more light on it and let it start growing higher. If your in the area I might be persuaded to clip a piece of it.

Dave B