Chloramine

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Does a Chloramine Carbon block remove regular chlorine as well? Do I still need a regular Carbon block if I use a Chloramine block for my RO/DI?

Are you running a kdf85 gac or something? I would still run a carbon. It just breaks the chemical bond of the chloramine I t believe and leaves the ammonia and chlorine behind.

Use 2 chloromine carbon blocks, and brs has a great video that shows why as they did several tests. I know a friend who is using vitamin c in his make up water and it will stabilize any chlorine that does pass through.

Use 2 chloromine carbon blocks, and brs has a great video that shows why as they did several tests. I know a friend who is using vitamin c in his make up water and it will stabilize any chlorine that does pass through.
+1 to this^^^^^^^ same setup as mine...

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Are you running a kdf85 gac or something? I would still run a carbon. It just breaks the chemical bond of the chloramine I t believe and leaves the ammonia and chlorine behind.
I'm just using the Martix Carbon block from BRS right now but think I should change

Thanks Scott, I'll look up the video

Good timing. I was just shopping for the carbon block on MD's site the other day. I have been doing vitamin C for RO top off and also salt mix as a preventive measure. Not 100% conclusive but I'm pretty certain a lot of water districts spike up the level of chloramine during this time of year to combat algae etc in their water treatment regiment given the longer sunlight cycle and hotter temp.

If your city uses water from Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) then you have chloramines. Chloramines are used because when water sits in pipes the chlorine isn't effective. So using chloramines, a dirivitive of Amonnia, is used as it doesn't lose its ability to remove 'crap' for the water. I recently added a chloramine filter, just one, to my RODI.

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
Does a Chloramine Carbon block remove regular chlorine as well? Do I still need a regular Carbon block if I use a Chloramine block for my RO/DI?
i use filter guy chloramine filters first stage is sediment filter, second is carbon, thrid is chloramine, cost more but hey whats in the tank is worth even more