First things First...

Ctimpson

Hello all... I have been around the Freshwater Block for quite awhile, but with my new MTS purchase, I am ready to take the plunge into Saltwater... I will post some pics of both my African Tank followed by my new Saltwater Tank... I picked up the SW tank today from my LFS... The new owner about 6 months ago drained the tank and left everything inside, never doing anything with it except for moving it into the back stockroom... It contained over a 100lbs of coral rock, three Rio powerheads, a 8500, a 180 and a 90... I will probably buy all new equipment though... My freshwater I also bought in this same condition, but what a difference s little TLC makes... Here are the tanks...

...Couple of questions... Can I still use this rock as base rock and seed it with some live rock... What would you guys do with a blank canvas, 60 gallon... Any suggestions would be appreciated... I know it would help if I told you a was planning on a FOWLR tank and using caribsea as substrate... Thanks in advance....

Welcome to SoCali Reefs...yes you can use the bucket of rock as base then get live rock to seed...make sure the LR is cured and cycle your tank before adding LS

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Hey Welcome
If you are going to do a reef, make sure you get rid of all those bioballs..
not sure if you could ignore the back..but I would drill the tank and have a sump at the bottom. Makes things easier.
If you have any specific questions, please ask

Ctimpson

My Plans...

Yes I am throwing everything that was in the tank away, except the rock... I am using vinegar and water to clean the entire tank, then using my heavy and fine scratch remover to restore the acrylic... As for exact questions, here's a couple... What is the best way to restore the acyrlic... Using the scratch remover and maybe a dremel or drill with a buffing bit on it? Also would drilling a hole in the back sump and utilizing an in the stand sump be better... If so why...Finally what is the best way to clean the coral rock that came with the tank... Thanks guys.... By the way I live in Fullerton and work in anaheim right by disney?

Latest posts