Clown Eggs Made Me Grab My Camera...

So 11pm rolls around tonight and I decide to throw a little late night Nori in the tank for the fish. I ordered a bunch of black worms last week and have been feeding them everynight for over a week now. I have somewhere between 4 and 6 yellow assessors. They've been looking pretty beat up for the last few months. After a week of black worms, I was amazed how much better the assessors look. They are brighter, thicker and their colors looked really good tonight. While studying them I was studying my trio of percs and realized that they are sitting on a pile of eggs, and they must be getting close to hatching because I can see all the little eyes. I pulled out the macro lens to try to get a shot.

After a few frustrating minutes trying to get a shot, I switched over to shooting the corals....

My grafted Monti

One of my blue stags

Bali Echinata

Blue Tort-like

Jedi Mind Trick

Lokani

Maxima

Pink Millie

Monti

Oregon Tort

Pink Alveapora

Purple Acro

Possible a Strawberry Shortcake

Sunny D

Valida

Things are looking really good. Going to start dosing Triton Zinc and Manganese and see if I can get some more depth/richness to some of the colors.

Dave B

No chance with the eggs. I don't have the time or energy to start all the food cultures to try to feed the babies. I've been successful with the Bangai Cardinals. Several of the adults in the tank are babies that were born in my tank. At the moment there are 2 males holding eggs. So far the record is a baby last 2 weeks in the display tank. But in the rock sump outside - I have another pair of Bangai and their babies have much better survival rates. I just saw a couple of babies in the sump last weekend.

Dave B

F-Dawg, We ordered from California Black Worms. Split the order with another reefer. Ended up with just less than 1/2 a lb for $40. And now that we bought the worm keeper. I think a 1/2lb will cost me less than $30. I'm feeding my planted livebearer tank and the reef tank everyday and I think 1/2lb will probably last me 2 weeks. I would definitely like to get a group together to split orders a couple of times a month and keep the worms coming. They fish love em and the difference in the assessors is amazing. Jake Adams was telling me that the black worms makes the fish more eager to spawn. In addition to the clowns I have spawning target mandarins, spawning flame back angels, spawning red scooter blennies, spawning bangai cardinals and spawning springeri pseudochromis - cant wait to see who else wants to spawn.

Dave B

No chance with the eggs. I don't have the time or energy to start all the food cultures to try to feed the babies. I've been successful with the Bangai Cardinals. Several of the adults in the tank are babies that were born in my tank. At the moment there are 2 males holding eggs. So far the record is a baby last 2 weeks in the display tank. But in the rock sump outside - I have another pair of Bangai and their babies have much better survival rates. I just saw a couple of babies in the sump last weekend.

Dave B
Like maintaining a tank is not hard enough lol.. Guess it's not a bad deal if u have the time

F-Dawg, We ordered from California Black Worms. Split the order with another reefer. Ended up with just less than 1/2 a lb for $40. And now that we bought the worm keeper. I think a 1/2lb will cost me less than $30. I'm feeding my planted livebearer tank and the reef tank everyday and I think 1/2lb will probably last me 2 weeks. I would definitely like to get a group together to split orders a couple of times a month and keep the worms coming. They fish love em and the difference in the assessors is amazing. Jake Adams was telling me that the black worms makes the fish more eager to spawn. In addition to the clowns I have spawning target mandarins, spawning flame back angels, spawning red scooter blennies, spawning bangai cardinals and spawning springeri pseudochromis - cant wait to see who else wants to spawn.

Dave B

Dave,

It's been about 2 weeks since I've been feeding my fish blackworms and they absolutely go bonkers over them. My clowns will eat frozen or mysis if the food floats in their area but with blackworms they're all over the tank competing for that last bite and BTW the wormkeeper is a good idea! I've been storing my worms in a old fish food container and using a fish net to strain them. The problem is the worms get stuck inside the net :/

I'm interested in the group buy and the wormkeeper. So keep me posted.

~F-DAWG

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I was reading a post on the other site yesterday about blackworms. I am thinking about getting some. Glad to hear your success with them!

Corals look great too!

F Dawg, I didn't think much about the worm keeper. But now that I have one I think it's great. It makes keeping and cleaning the worms really easy. I keep the worms in a small drink fridge. And two days in the past week the worms did slither up the side and out of the keeper onto the fridge shelf. So you need to have a really understanding (and supportive) significant other. I'm pretty sure if these were in the main food fridge the missus would be upset.

Dave B

Latest posts