Cycle tank?

Milez803

Newbie question,
Started a tank about 3 1/2 weeks ago with live sand, but dead rock( left rocks in bucket with freshwater for 1 week, to kill pest), I have yet to see any brown diatom algae boom. I do have macro algae and CUC in the tank already. Attempted to use hermit crabs and Nerite snail to cycle the tank, so far no casualty yet. Testing kit is arriving soon from Amazon, but I'm just wonder is it possible to have a tank cycled with no algae boom?

Tank size: 30 gallon cube
Sump: 20 gallon with refugium
Light: T-5 HO, (switching to Brightlux Chinese LED dimmable soon) in the mail.
CadLight Nano Skimmer
Phosphate Reactor
Wp- 10
Tunze nano ato

Planning on stocking
pair of clowns
red scooter blenny
CUC

I did the same thing for my new 65 gal cube, but without the cuc. The only really way is to test the water. Am sure u can take some water to ur lfs and have them test it for you. One thing you'll in this hobby is, patience. Patience will lead to your success.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
As mentioned above the only way to know is by testing. I've never seen a new tank without an algae bloom. A low bioload will cycle faster but once you start adding fish the cycle will continue as it always does.

Please note that freshwater dipping for rocks for a week will not kill the pests. Bleach or muriatic acid would do the trick and would have to completely rinse and dry the rock afterwards.

www.LAreefsociety.org

Milez803

Thanks guys, the test kit should be in by Monday, i'll test it then. Purchasing the red sea test kit from Amazon. I hope I didn't bring any pest or hitch hiker with me. I was told that freshwater soak for a week would have gotten rid of it, but dam. I hate to get any of those glasses anemone.

Why not buy the test kit from Marindepot? 1 day shipping, you don't pay tax, will call if you're nearby, and price match! Pretty hard to beat imo

Latest posts