Using beach sand

Just think if it was that simple to get sand from the beach.. then why isnt everyone doing it instead of buying it.. just a thought

ronvdp

Do the sand in a bucket experiment with salt water/heater/circulation for a week then send the water in to Triton and see what comes up. My feeling is a lot of pollution based contaminants. If not, you are set and can save a ton. I'm curious about the amount of Ca++ in the sand as there isn't much coral out there...

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Don't do it!

The sand we use in our aquarium is a calcium-based sand. As it breaks down it helps buffer the ph. Our local beaches have a silica-based sand which does NOT have the ph-buffering you will want, and even more importantly it releases silicates! Just like phosphates and nitrates = nuisance algae food.
This is correct. There is all type of sand. Hawaiian sand on the younger islands is volcanic ash. Besides, socal beaches are filthy, why would you put sewage runoff in your tank? If you were in the carribean, it would work. But first you would get mobbed by a some jamaicans for poaching, forced to rent "jet skis maaahn" for 2 weeks then tossed in jail.

This is correct. There is all type of sand. Hawaiian sand on the younger islands is volcanic ash. Besides, socal beaches are filthy, why would you put sewage runoff in your tank? If you were in the carribean, it would work. But first you would get mobbed by a some jamaicans for poaching, forced to rent "jet skis maaahn" for 2 weeks then tossed in jail.
It's Soo funny how everyone east of the Mississippi River thinks the Caribbean is awesome but there's only two industries there. Tourism and drugs. Sure the sand is sugar-y but the rest of the island is ghetto. The Virgin Islands are amazing though. That's why I had to sell off the last tank. We spent a month in the BVI's. It was incredible. But the ship back cost for sand or fish would be nuts.