Acan and Duncan receding

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
and I think I found my issue? A very low electrical current in the water column.

I've been getting these little cuts at work lately on my hands that would burn when I stuck them in my tank. Well today was no different while I was cleaning my glass with a razor blade. I then went to reposition my pump in my salt mix station, expecting the same burning sting, but it didn't happen. Weird? Stuck my hand in my QT, didn't happen. Back to the DT? Happened again and never subsided. I started unplugging pumps 1 by 1 and when I got to my mj900 that keeps motion in my sump....It instantly stopped stinging! I put that thing in there a few months back to help with detritus! About that time my acan started receding, I lost half my colony of duncans as of late. I've been pulling these **** coral and dipping them looking for pest over and over and over for the last few weeks never finding anything! I'm just glad it wasn't my return, that woulda been pricey.

It'll be interesting to see if they turn around. Strangely my fish have seem unaffected.

Pretty stupid on my part but figured id share....incase anyone else is pretty stupid too :smile (2): I'm going to look into a grounding rod.

Besides cutting my hand and putting it in my tank, how can I tell if I have stray current?
I'm pretty sure there is some sort of tester for that. Iv never had that issues but I'm sure someone can tell ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Voltage meter would probably work. Touch one lead to the floor the other in the water. I wonder if those voltage wands the light up would work?

I had a heater once that the cable got damaged with a very small cut and there was some wire in contact with the water, well every time I was trying to clean the tank I fell like a small shock in my hands, me been stupid! it took me while to find out what was the problem, funny thing corals and fish seemed to be more happy!

Just had that problem with my skimmer stray voltage. To test just get a volt meter one end to your ground the part that looks like a circle on the plug if some of you dont know... and the other end in your water.

My skimmer was 120v sps look happy with the volts in the water but zoas close and start to melt

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Thanks I'll give that a shot. I walked back over and felt the current again after removing the mj pump. I was using a ranco thermostat to control my heaters. I took that off line and now my water feels normal. A weird thing to say, but I think this has been a problem in my tank for quite some time.

I have another thread about my chalice acting strange. A few people said it looked like it was getting stung. I'm thinking everything I stuck my finger in the tank to trouble shoot I was giving the voltage a ground possibly shocking everything in my system. But who knows. If everything starts to recover I'll have my answer.