Jelly ID?

Elo500

At max, one of the tank venders, maybe cadlights, had black jellyfish on display. Here is a blurry pic but they were short and fat. What kind are they?

I saw those jellies too, they looked awesome. I found these after searching for jellies online, these are CRAZY!!

image.jpg

ctello23

[MENTION=7520]Elo500[/MENTION] they are Catostylus Mosaicus, from [MENTION=1548]reef[/MENTION]loungeusa, they look legit. Swing by their shop they have a tank setup with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctello23

From what Jimmy over at [MENTION=1548]reef[/MENTION]loungeusa was telling me these jellies are pretty hardy, they get them from the Philippines, they are photosynthetic and they just need a low flow tank. I was at the shop for about 2 hours on Saturday (that was my MAX) and I was watching the tank and they just swam around avoiding the glass. The tank they have setup is a 60 gallon (maybe 50) Versa Cube from Cadlights. I believe he sells them for about 40 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jelly's don't do well in rectangular tanks due to the flow patterns. If they get caught in a corner they almost always will die or become damaged. The flow must be in a circular motion, like the flow a gyre pump puts out. Also, they all require cold water, so you'd need to run a chiller constantly and have the tank in an air conditioned room. Anyone can put a beautiful piece of coral in any tank system and claim that you can keep it alive in those conditions, the real question is for how long? And will it really thrive?