new to the area and also saltwater tanks.

Hey guys, new to So-Cal and to salt tanks. Just bought my first tank (60g cube with 30g sump) off a member (he informed me of this site) and am anxious to get it up and going. Bought a R.O system yesterday and have 80g made up already and am useing instant ocean reef salt. He set me up with most the basics, pump, powerhead, heater, sand, some live rock, and a couple other things. I ordered my light and protein skimmer and should get it tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow night my cycling will be going.

Hopefully you guys will be able to inform me of what else i will need for a reef tank and walk me through beginners hiccups. I have kept fresh tanks for 16 years and enjoyed it. I have always wanted a salt tank but life and my job never aloud that, so all these years of wanting a salt tank have me pretty excited, anxious, and impatient. Thanks in Advance for the help i will surely need.

Gary Knight.

Oh yes, i plan on going slow, cant afford it any other way. Im already 800$ into it and dont even have all the live rock i need. Probably be 6 months to a year on my budget to get the tank to where i want it. But alteast i have took the first step and got the startup cost out of the way. It will be hard not to dip into my new motor money. Im just hopeing this site can save me some money so my wife dont make me give up my other hobbies.

Some cheapy L.E.D light off amazon for 180$. It had alot of good reviews on multiple sites. Im a bargain hunter so i research for hours and price check before i buy. Luckily amazon had the best price and i have prime so i got free 2 day shipping. When i get home i will see what brand it is and take a couple pictures.

Welcome Gary. Make sure to post your progress and ask as many questions as you can along the way. We can help with the aggravation and problems you may encounter but not with the addiction. We all have major issues.

I will definitely be needing your guys help tonight setting up the skimmer. Tried and failed last night. I will also post pics when i get home. Now i just need to find a good deal on some live rock in the anaheim/hutington beach area. Any suggestions?

I will definitely be needing your guys help tonight setting up the skimmer. Tried and failed last night. I will also post pics when i get home. Now i just need to find a good deal on some live rock in the anaheim/hutington beach area. Any suggestions?
I might have some left over once I build my new sps tower. I'll let you know. Welcome!

Welcome Gary. There's a show coming up that was sponsored by LARS come by and check out some stuff that hobbies and LFS offers. Just keep your hands off with impulse buying as your tank need to mature. Just get your self familiar with corals being offer around you then decide which way you wanted to go.. Good Luck and enjoy.