Caribsea Bahamas Oolite Users?

So I started a new tank a couple weeks ago and I added Caribsea Bahamas Oolite to the tank. I knew this sand was very fine but it's d@mn near powder. Anyways, It's now day 9 and the tank is still milky and haven't been improving. I've been using Fiji Pink for the last 6 years and it always clears up quick. For the record no pumps are on and I used a plate when I added water. I'm thinking of doing a 100% water change and adding 10lb of Fiji Pink on top of the Oolite.

So my question is how long did it take your tank to clear up using Bahamas Oolite sand?
Bad batch maybe?

I have a 4"deep sand bed in my nano that I made with oolite so I got you on this bruh! Haha. It took close to a week for it to settle. I did a big water change too. Future reference though, the best way to add oolite (I found) was to first add water only half fill the tank then, add the sand BUT do it by cutting a corner off the bag. Hold the now cut end shut and invert the bag of sand while submerging the entire bag into the tank all the way to the bottom. You slowly let go of the cut end and let the sand slowly come out of the bag. This causes the sand to soflty settle to the bottom.

If its a big heavy bag, try the same method but make little baggies out of zip lock bags and repeat this method all over the bottom of the tank.

Do you have a filter sock or 2 sided filter floss? It'll clear it out in a day. Also if you put Fiji pink on top of oolite the Fiji pink will settle to the bottom within a few days, the Fiji pink is way way way more dense then oolite. Personally I hate the oolite particle size..

Do you have a filter sock or 2 sided filter floss? It'll clear it out in a day. Also if you put Fiji pink on top of oolite the Fiji pink will settle to the bottom within a few days, the Fiji pink is way way way more dense then oolite. Personally I hate the oolite particle size..
I agree with Dylan... Oolite is a ROYAL PIA... in my opinion the biggest mistake I made in my tank.. Looks cool....till the water starts moving... If you like sand dunes and bare spots it's cool... Been contemplating Gyres for my tank, but I know I am opening a can of worms.. Been removing the sand slowly during water changes, but in a 240 gallon tank, gonna take a while...

I agree with Dylan... Oolite is a ROYAL PIA... in my opinion the biggest mistake I made in my tank.. Looks cool....till the water starts moving... If you like sand dunes and bare spots it's cool... Been contemplating Gyres for my tank, but I know I am opening a can of worms.. Been removing the sand slowly during water changes, but in a 240 gallon tank, gonna take a while...
I made a mistake it won't work in my 24GA build, I set the mp10 at a single dot and it started a mean sand storm. I'm going to replace it with Fiji Pink.

swiftism

Premium Member
Supporter
I started cycling a sump/refugium last week and a week later its still milky. I going to change it out, to Fiji Pink or maybe black.