Feeding question

When I feed my fish they don't always see the food pellets. It sinks to the sand and just sits on the bottom. Do I use a turkey baster to pick up the pellets or wait for them to eat it? Thank you for any input :biggrin1:

If they are eating off the sand then leave it. If they aren't getting them all, feed less. Turkey baster may stir up to much sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you have live sand, there are thousands and millions of fauna in there that will eat it... over feeding does cause harm... like, you'll get an over population of bristle worms, pods and other stuff... just don't feed as much... for some fish, one pellet is enough for it to not starve... so don't over feed...

I honestly forgot the name of the fish, they aren't damsels but they are really hardy fish :/
3 in 40 gallon tank with 25 lbs of live rock

Edit: they are chromis

How long have you have these chromis? I remember they are very aggressive eaters. They would jump to the food and rarely miss anything. However, if you throw in too much at 1 time then so much they can consume. I use the coral feeder and that releases less food than the turkey blaster. My goal is never let the food drop to the sand bed as that only feed bristle worms.

If you are worried about food on the bottom you can always pick up a couple hermit crabs. They will eat uneaten food on the bottom of the tank.

Latest posts