During cycle ...media tray, fuge, lights?

Elo500

Planning setup for my nano cube 24. Do I setup the media tray during cycle or After?

I was going to put macro algae in center compartment with utility light. Do I start during cycle or after?

Normal light cycle during cycle?

Thanks

Personally, I would say yes to the macro as I'm a believer in algaes out competing one another. No on the lights, no on the media... after.

Planning setup for my nano cube 24. Do I setup the media tray during cycle or After?

I was going to put macro algae in center compartment with utility light. Do I start during cycle or after?

Normal light cycle during cycle?

Thanks
Media tray now, macro later, lights regular schedule.

Or what Bean said....

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
normal lighting non the rest. let the tank simmer with the awesome green hair algae and diatom and about 90 days later then start adding stuff to it

while you are waiting read and research more

Last edited:
Why do you guys recommend running the light? The bacteria doesn't need light to populate... i feel like let the bacteria colonize, let your tank stabalize, then run your lights. With no corals I don't see the point?

Why do you guys recommend running the light? The bacteria doesn't need light to populate... i feel like let the bacteria colonize, let your tank stabalize, then run your lights. With no corals I don't see the point?
I just hate looking at a dark tank....

Especially I'f there isn't any water in it.......

So no light even if I use live rock? Wont everything die on the rock?
No... reason to not light the rock is to prevent nuissance algae from growing prematurely before you biological filter is established. Why rush a bad thing... the algae will come eventually. What makes your rock "live" are the bacteria that inhabit it. Well and the critters that come on it from the ocean.

I just hate looking at a dark tank....

Especially I'f there isn't any water in it.......
LOL good point.

So no light even if I use live rock? Wont everything die on the rock?
Depends on what is on the rock. Bearing in mind that this is a new tank, you may wanna have the lights on to see what's going on.

The real reason for live rock, and why it's called live in the first place, is the Nitrifying bacteria in/on the rock. Anything beyond that is a bonus...usually.... (Google gorilla crab or Eunicid worm)
Anything other on the rock runs the chance of a die off during the cycle.. Just a heads up

No... reason to not light the rock is to prevent nuissance algae from growing prematurely before you biological filter is established. Why rush a bad thing... the algae will come eventually. What makes your rock "live" are the bacteria that inhabit it. Well and the critters that come on it from the ocean.

LOL good point.
Great minds do apparently think alike...

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
i like to let the algae cycle start early so you get to see the cool gha move around its awesome.