Egg crate under rocks?

i always put egg crate on the bottom and then cover it with sand, once covered with sand you don't see it.
and it protects the bottom glass panel from rocks falling

Corals&Reefs

Premium Member
Supporter
While I've tried a couple of things, seems like I always reverted to sand. The sand helps protect the glass from rock (as a piece portion will fall at some point), prevents build up of unwanted waste and is easier to clean/sift without an underlying substrate.

I never understood why people put EC under the sand. Isnt the sand enough buffer incase a rock falls? I personally build by aquascape with macro-cement so it is all one piece and i never have falling rocks, you can also build cooler structures! :)

mark.a.smith405

Premium Member
Supporter
I've never used egg crate and run BB. I also live life on the edge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ive never used EC under the sand. seems like waster would collect that you couldnt remove.
That was always my thinking too, also would make it a lot harder for nassarius snails to airate the sand, which is almost essential so deadly gasses don't build up.

Well crap. I have that in my newly acquired but established reef tank! Is there any proof that it would keep the snails from doing their jobs? Now I'm worried about toxic buildup! AHHHH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nasotang

Premium Member
Supporter
Featured Reef
I used to do it and gave up on it. Not good if you have wrasses, and does limit sand turn over by snails. But i like to use less than 2" of sand too to prevent nitrate buildup. If you had deeper sand probably wouldnt matter as much.

Latest posts