Suggestion - Turn on new user approval

xmas_one

I think you guys could cut down on a ton of the BS spam users if required mod approval for new users. It would be pretty easy to weed them out if you just look at the names/locations they provide.

lol... i doubt they're going to do that... it's all about numbers it seems... if you do that, they're not going to get the same number of members they do a month...

the higher the numbers the more the sponsors want in on the forum... imagine if the member count was true to participating members...?

LOL...

IBsomeonepostinteresting

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
I've admin'd some VERY large vBulletin forums (most of them in the hundreds of thousands, one of them in the millions). If the various anti-spam plugins aren't catching all of them, you can create a new users forum and only allow new accounts to post in that forum until they're a few days old and/or have a minimum post count before they get free run of the rest of the forums. You can also set the reputation system so if enough people give them negative reputation they automatically get put into the Moderated usergroup though this can be abused (on the forum we implemented this I had one of our devs make some code changes to the rep system to try to curb abuse).

Once the spammers really start hitting the site, approving new users doesn't work well - they can get hard to find in the flood of fake accounts and sometimes a legitimate new user looks like a spammer. :(

Last edited:
we want to have new user, so the less someone has to do to become one the better.
there are so many user that never post, for one reason or other. i have ppl come in all the time that say they just like to lurk and read threads.
most say they are intimidated to post, that being say less hoops to jump thru the better.
we want new ppl lets not discourage them from joining.
+ the mods have to much work as it is.

just report the posts like you guys have been. there's enough of us that someone catches it sooner than later, and you guys use the posts to pad your post counts anyways.. -_-

I deleted and banned 3 of em today. i'd much rather do that, than to have to look through and approve all the new members.

Spinner

Supporter
Yeah that's how it starts....first your LURKING around a saltwater forum....then the neighborhood window's:)

Hmmm, how to block spam yet prevent this site from becoming more inbred than an arkansas cousin kissing contest...