So Here it is... My new tank...

Ctimpson

Thanks to you couple of guys that replied to my First things first thread... So here is my new tank setup and hopefully doing it's thing. So after buffing most of the scraches out of the acyrlic and rinsing 100 times... I set it up in my room next to my 60 gal FW... I used my base rock and was only able to purchase 12 lbs. of live rock from my LFS @ 5.00 a lb already cured. I ran out of money for the weekend... I do plan on getting more, but I did purchase a Current Satellite 36" antic and daylight setup with built in Lunar lighting... I was told by my friend at my LFS that I should not run my fluval 405 in my tank and also to simply put filter polyester floss in the built in overflows and leave the rest of the chambers in the back empty... Any thoughts on this? I have as my return a rio 2500 that puts more than enough flow back into the tank... My SG is at 1.022... This is more than exceptable right? Also any thoughts on how to speed up the cycle time in the tank... My snowflake eel, currently in my african tank, has begun to eat my 1.5" frontosa's... He has already swallowed 2 over the past 5 days... I want to transplant him into my SW tank as soon as possible... What would be the proper way to acclimate him to the new tank once it is ready for him... Honestly, how long will it take to seed the base rock? Sorry about all the questions... Thanks in advance....

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
looks good...
Wait so your saltwater snowflake eel is living in your freshwater tank? Am I missing something?

epicfish

I think you need some smaller pieces of rock. I'd keep a few large pieces, but smaller pieces will give you more options when you want to move them around.

Maybe take one or two pieces away from the middle section so that you have a space for some lower-light corals in the middle. If you look at it from the top, you'd see a lower-case "n"...but it's your tank. :) Frags on the sandbed aren't very pretty IMO.

You have an eel?...he will need a hiding spot where you will know where to find him at all times so he does not attack you...then you lose a finger...I recommend adding even though it might be ugly a 2" by 2 feet piece of pvc pipe under the rock...it works for me and I know where mine is at all times till feeding time.

Ctimpson

Snowflakes are born in esutaries where the river mouths meet the sea... When they are young they live in the FW to brackish waters, then migrate out to sea when the are larger in size... So he should do well... The frags are not suppose to be there... Tomorrow I am going to get all of the stuff off the bottom... So you think remove the middle pieces...Try that tomorrow

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Snowflakes are born in esutaries where the river mouths meet the sea... When they are young they live in the FW to brackish waters, then migrate out to sea when the are larger in size... So he should do well... The frags are not suppose to be there... Tomorrow I am going to get all of the stuff off the bottom... So you think remove the middle pieces...Try that tomorrow

Oic....so they handle changes in environment pretty well. How do you acclimate them to freshwater and saltwater..just drip until salinity matches? Wow learning something new everyday:tee: