Species Spotlight: Crosshatch Triggerfish

The Crosshatch Triggerfish, Xanthichthys mento.

This beautiful fish has a golden color base with dark crosshatch lines which gives it its common name. It has blue lines running from just underneath the mouth back to the pectoral fin. This species is dimorphic with males showing a more intense golden color with a red tail.

The Crosshatch Trigger can be found swimming in schools through open water at depths ranging from 20 to 425 feet. Collection mainly takes place in Hawaii but they have a large range throughout the pacific, including Southern Japan, Galapagos Islands, and even Southern California. Despite their large range they are not common in the aquarium trade, likely because they are found more on remote islands, away from the usual collecting areas. Their upward pointing mouth is perfect for feeding on zooplankton which makes this fish more suitable for reef tanks and less likely to feed on benthic invertebrates. They are much more peaceful than most triggerfish making them better suited for aquarium life. With a maximum size of just under 12 inches we would recommend around a 180 gallon tank for an adult. Make sure to provide plenty of swimming room but also plenty of caves as Triggerfish like to hide occasionally. They should be provided a meaty diet of chopped seafood and other prepared aquarium food, preferable three times a day.

If you are looking for a unique fish with a lot of personality then give a Crosshatch Triggerfish a try, just come with some deep pockets as this fish commands a high price.

Sweet. My poor crosshatch ended up with swim bladder and hasn't eaten in close to 8 weeks. I poked him with a needle released a lot of air but he still isn't able to swim right and now his belly just got pinched about two days ago. If I could afford another I would in a heart beat. Crosshatch triggers ate like no other. Literally it's like having a puppy dog but better. Mine would eat out of my hand😢. Amazing fish! Glws

Latest posts