Sugar/vodka/vinigar dosing, which is safest/proven.

So a regular at my work recently told me he had success with sugar dosing to get rid of GHA. Ive been reading around and seen some mixed reviews. So if anyone here with first hand experiences with any of these methods of carbon dosing can give me some advice and directions, please share your knowledge and experiences.

I have been doing vinegar. And idk if I see any results. Been doing it for a while now and meh. Can't say I love it nor hate it.

I tried vodka.. did it per melvs reef instructions. Had great results. At the time it was fish only but just wanted to experiment. Always had nitrates in the 160 ish red area. I don't remember how long it was maybe 2.5 3 months got to like 8 ml or something and my nitrates dropped to about 20ppm. Cut it down to 5 ml but then ended up with flukes had to cut my skimmer quit the vodka dosing seeing as you must have your skimmer on and then just forgot about it.

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Vinegar is less potent than Vodka, therefore, more room for error. When I was dosing vodka, I was doing 16mls at it's highest. With Vinegar, I think I would have been dosing like 80mls. Whichever you choose, start SLOW.

Yes start slow even though it may seem like you aren't adding anything. . I was like geez is been a while 5 ml for this much water no way but it does work. Read that nopox is just a more expensive way to carbon dose... safer maybe i don't know. Cyano? Didn't know about that either. ..

I think unbalanced bacteria gets cyano going
Interesting. .. but I thought cyano needs nutrients... no nutrients nothing to feed off of no cyano. Guess I'll read up more on it before I do it again. Would suck to do something as a preventative and you end up provoking what your are trying to prevent lol

there was a time that I was dosing a mixture of all 3. From my experience, sugar just made cyano bloom like crazy. I got the best results with 1 part vodka and 2 vinegar.

organism

2020 POTM
this. you also have to dose bacteria when you carbon dose
Don't tell that to my tank that's been getting only vodka for 5 years :) OP, vodka works great, so does vinegar but watch your pH once your dosage gets higher. You don't need to dose bacteria or anything else, but start off slow to avoid bacteria blooms. Some people get cyano due to the vodka making bacteria pull a lot of gunk out of the sandbed, it's pretty temporary and a sign that things are working, just an annoying hurdle you have to clear with carbon dosing on tanks that eventually goes away on its own. Here's the directions http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/

organism

2020 POTM
I think like 4-6 weeks you'll start seeing a good drop, it takes a bit since you have to gradually increase the dosage but once you're there they drop pretty fast.

Oh ok so it does take a little while I've been dosing for 2 weeks now and I'm still 100ppm :/ according to my Salifert test kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk