How to clean sock filters?

Use a high pressure water hose to remove most of the dirty stuff off first. Then I turn it inside out , put a cap of bleach into the washer, and clean it in sanitary mode.

I don't understand why people use bleach. Isn't bleach strictly for looks? It's going to instantly turn brown anyways. I never used a sock until now. And I just spray it inside out with a hose . water my lawn at the same time. Pressure washer would be nice but is probably more of a hassle to get out just for 1 sock. I like mmarros idea except I don't think those filter sponges are as fine as the socks. But that's what your skimmer is for right?

a filter sock is bascially a strainer. ideally, when its clogged you would buy a new sock/strainer so it could do its job correctly. but $8 for 1 week with a sock is expensive, I have 4 sock filter locations in my system: 2 returns, 1 for the skimmer, 1 for the GAC/GFO reactor. so I thought it was best to regenerate my filter by forcing clean water through it in the forward and backwards (inside out) direction. this is how I make my RODI membrane last longer. IME, this also made the sock last longer.

as noted in the RC article, people confuse a bleached white sock with a new sock because they look similarly white. but the whitened old sock might still be clogged and not really doing its job, not to mention the possible release of bleach into your system. also, I never used a washing machine because IMO the premise was all wrong from the start. washing machines are agitators for clothes. clothes are not filters but covers. again, people want them to look clean- it does not address the issue of regenerating the filtering ability of the filter sock. and agitiating the filter sock I thought made them break down more quickly than a thorough blast with a hose.

I have not seen a controlled study of the best way to truly regenerate the filtering ability of a filter sock. seems too nerdy even for this nerd hobby. but filters used in most other applications are simply tossed out. like everything else in this hobby there is no good shortcut, and the best solution seems to involve more $. I just buy 20 socks at a time for $5 each when they were on sale and rotate them (defer costs), try to make them all last 6 months.

👆good point. I could only imagine the sock loosening after each and every wash. Turning a once 300 micron filter into 200. Then a 100. Etc. Etc. Then eventually just turning it into a net that catches big debri vs truely filtering micro particles. And yes. I agree bleach is useless and is strictly for looks. I just hose. If you get even the slightest stream coming through the sock I'd throw it out.

Latest posts