Bulletproof Fish?

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
What are measuring your salinity with and when was the last time you calibrated the instrument you used?

I see sorry its early, which do you prefer?
No worries, I have always just used medias and weekly water changes. I don't have any reactors or dosers. I use phosban to control my phosphates, chemi pure to control water quality, I also use carbon regularly. I will add GFO if I see some algae or get a new fish and I'm feeding heavily. I am going to start using bio pellets in a media bag. I change my medias after about 2-3 months. I know media bags suck but I can't fit a reactor in my stand.

Update: My cleaner's passed on as well. I'm convinced it's stray voltage now. How do I check and remedy that?
Cleaner wrasses do that though. They just up and die Deff not the type of fish I can base anything on. Just test for stray voltage, and you'll have your answer:) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How often and how much do you change when you do a water change? Where did you get the tank from? If you can QT them for weeks and then they die in a short period of time I'm thinking the tank or acclimation process, not the source of the fish. Maybe switch the heater from your tank with what you have in your QT and same with the power head to eliminate those things. You could pickup a grounding wire for a few bucks and eliminate that as a cause, plus it is good to have in case it develops in the future. Regarding the tank, maybe there is something leeching into the water from the tank, can't think of what. Might be a pain in the butt, but maybe you can switch out the tank. Can you post a picture of the tank?

Also, maybe change out the food you are feeding them?

Jayuh

How often and how much do you change when you do a water change? Where did you get the tank from? If you can QT them for weeks and then they die in a short period of time I'm thinking the tank or acclimation process, not the source of the fish. Maybe switch the heater from your tank with what you have in your QT and same with the power head to eliminate those things. You could pickup a grounding wire for a few bucks and eliminate that as a cause, plus it is good to have in case it develops in the future. Regarding the tank, maybe there is something leeching into the water from the tank, can't think of what. Might be a pain in the butt, but maybe you can switch out the tank. Can you post a picture of the tank?

Also, maybe change out the food you are feeding them?
I change about 15% every week, so a little under 2 gallons regularly. I switched out the heaters earlier today, so hopefully that changes things. If it was stray voltage, I'd put my money on my old heater as the major producer. It would be really awesome to, but I don't have the funds to switch out the tank just yet.

Here's a shot of my tank of death.

I'm really hesitant to add anything to it, but especially since my shrimp is gone, it's looking really empty and kinda depressing

Jayuh

How are your corals doing? No death there?
Corals are doing pretty well. Duncans seem really happy, Zoas opening, Xenia pulsing, hammer's extending nicely. My acans aren't fluffing up as much as they usually do, but that might be because I'm at zero nitrates and they liked it when my water was a tad dirtier.

Jayuh

Wouldn't stray voltage, theoretically, kill the corals too?
I suppose at the very least, everything should look a little more stressed out. Maybe I can rule out stray voltage then? I still haven't tested the tank for it, still not too sure how to do that

ReeferJ

If the first fish you introduced that were not QT carried some disease it may still be in your system. I don't see that you have let this tank run fallow for long enough to ensure that whatever killed the first fish isn't still in there. You need to let the system run for long enough with no fish to ensure there are no parasites ect.

Jayuh

If the first fish you introduced that were not QT carried some disease it may still be in your system. I don't see that you have let this tank run fallow for long enough to ensure that whatever killed the first fish isn't still in there. You need to let the system run for long enough with no fish to ensure there are no parasites ect.
If 8-9 weeks isn't enough time, how long do you suggest? Is this from personal experience?