Apex chiller question

Setting up my chiller, was thinking it would be great to save power if the chiller and the chiller pump were plugged in the same port so they both turn on with chilling is needed. That way my chiller pump isn't running 24/7. Sound good any ideas or is something that everyone does? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the only thing is that there will be stagnant water in the chiller when its not running. Your be ok in the summer if its always coming off and on but you will have to take it off line in the winter. If you get food in there and it cuts off it will release rotting food in to your system when it kicks back on.

the only thing is that there will be stagnant water in the chiller when its not running. Your be ok in the summer if its always coming off and on but you will have to take it off line in the winter. If you get food in there and it cuts off it will release rotting food in to your system when it kicks back on.
That's interesting, what about setting the chiller pump in a separate port and have it turn on when needed then turn on every couple hours for a min. Or so to clear it? I feel for that is have to write the code so difficult!

I've seen people who set up their chiller to be fed by the drain line in order to eliminate the feeder pump. you can try that. I just feed mine with my return pump. I would say constant flow is best. I took a chiller off like after sitting for a week and the water was rancid.

I've seen people who set up their chiller to be fed by the drain line in order to eliminate the feeder pump. you can try that. I just feed mine with my return pump. I would say constant flow is best. I took a chiller off like after sitting for a week and the water was rancid.
I'd love to do a manifold but just hard to set up. Not sure how I would do that.

I'd love to do a manifold but just hard to set up. Not sure how I would do that.

it's not hard. I went to Home Depot and got 4 1 inch threaded T's, 4 1 inch gate valves, 3 1 inch threaded barbs (1 for the chiller and 2 for the manifold), and 3 1/4 inch plastic line adapters to feed other equipment like the calcium reactor.

Get a DC pump and ramp it all the way down when the chiller is not running (temperature tells you when the chiller is not likely to be running). I just do it the lazy way. I hook up the chiller with its own pump like around September to December. The rest of the year the pump and the chiller rest in the shed. :)
For a baller with MH and a 225 gallon tank, it will cost you a bit more but I think the joy will be better (Not talking about the electricity bill)

xmas_one

If you want to save money, have a fan over your sump come on first, then if its not able to cool it down enough have the chiller kick in. Maybe have the fan come on at 79 or 80 and then the chiller comes on at 81 or 82. As far as the pump, don't have another pump dedicated for the chiller, just tee off your return to feed the chiller.

If you want to save money, have a fan over your sump come on first, then if its not able to cool it down enough have the chiller kick in. Maybe have the fan come on at 79 or 80 and then the chiller comes on at 81 or 82. As far as the pump, don't have another pump dedicated for the chiller, just tee off your return to feed the chiller.
That's exactly what I'll do! Have any fans In particular that you recommend? I Deff will just t off my return so chiller is included. Thanks for the great tip!

Get a DC pump and ramp it all the way down when the chiller is not running (temperature tells you when the chiller is not likely to be running). I just do it the lazy way. I hook up the chiller with its own pump like around September to December. The rest of the year the pump and the chiller rest in the shed. :)
For a baller with MH and a 225 gallon tank, it will cost you a bit more but I think the joy will be better (Not talking about the electricity bill)

those dc pumps are expennnnnci e no? I'm not a baller just a preschool teach:) end of the year gift cards coming up!! Means 3 new radions!!!

xmas_one

That's exactly what I'll do! Have any fans In particular that you recommend? I Deff will just t off my return so chiller is included. Thanks for the great tip!

Target sells a cheap, powerful clip on fan for like $10. They are two speed, and I believe they only come in white.

Bypass off your return through chiller with 1 way valve. You need a gate valve and 2 true union ball valves. No loss of flow to your tank and no extra pump. Close the 2 true unions, and open gate valve when you want to put your chiller away for the winter. You do not need a manifold to plumb in.

Bypass off your return through chiller with 1 way valve. You need a gate valve and 2 true union ball valves. No loss of flow to your tank and no extra pump. Close the 2 true unions, and open gate valve when you want to put your chiller away for the winter. You do not need a manifold to plumb in.
Wow like what u did with that I'll work on this next week!

those dc pumps are expennnnnci e no? I'm not a baller just a preschool teach:) end of the year gift cards coming up!! Means 3 new radions!!!

What! Oh man, I should have taught preschool instead!

bsilvest

You can always get a small relay and mount it in a dry location and use a Variable outlet with no ramp if you have an extra to kick the pump in and program it to be on if the chiller is on then maybe cycle ever 40 min for 2 min to keep the chiller cleared out, I have mine just running all the time due to the same reason stated I don't want stagnant water or food in my chiller or returning it to my tank. I do however have it setup on an extra Variable out put setup to kick the pump off to the chiller and reactor with relays during a maintenance cycle so that I can work on an get everything serviced. I will however once I get a variable speed pump or Controller I can run this pump off of use that output so when chiller is off the pump will run slowly just to keep the water moving through the chiller and when the chiller is on I will ramp up the pump to speed needed to properly chill the tank.

Dont do it i learned the hard way that water goes stagnant quick my skimmer would go crazy everytime the chiller pump came on! No i use a chiller that you just drop a coil in sump and it cools it down so no pump like it so far may be a permanant switch for me

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Dont do it i learned the hard way that water goes stagnant quick my skimmer would go crazy everytime the chiller pump came on! No i use a chiller that you just drop a coil in sump and it cools it down so no pump like it so far may be a permanant switch for me

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Lol thanks for refreshing the post! I set my apex to turn on the chiller pump for one minute every hour and then also on whenever the chiller turns on.

Latest posts