How high to aquascape?

toynewb

So I'm doing some aquascaping. I'm wondering how much room should I leave at the top of the rocks?

I plan to do maybe do SPS in the far future and have an 29 gallon cube with a LED hood on top.

actually, how high should I fill up the water now that I think about how close it will get to the hood.

reeferside

So I'm doing some aquascaping. I'm wondering how much room should I leave at the top of the rocks?

I plan to do maybe do SPS in the far future and have an 29 gallon cube with a LED hood on top.

actually, how high should I fill up the water now that I think about how close it will get to the hood.
Its up to you.

If you have it too high, and lets say you take water out of the display, your future sps will be sticking out of the water possibly for a period of time until you can fill it back up

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey Kevin, welcome to the forum. When it comes to SPS, you will learn that some like high light and some like low light. You want to create an aquascape that had levels for low, medium and high lighting. I wouldn't go too high. i would say 5-6 inches from the water line to be safe but it really depends on your tank. how big is your tank? dimensions?

xmas_one

You don't want to go too high, especially with SPS. It is much easier to get good flow in a tank that has minimal rock work. Also, the "wall" or "fruit-stand" look went out with Crocket and Tubbs.

6-7 inches should be enough. If you do water changes with the SPS, make sure the new water is close to the temp you have in the display. That way the SPS doesn't get a shock from the drastic temp change (depending the water % you change on schedule)