Clean up crew for 24g?

Elo500

I've been reading up cuc and it sounds like I should just stick to Astrea, Ceriths and chiton snails and avoid hermits because they will kill the snails? How many do I start with? Are the snails that different that I really need 3 different kinds or will one type do the job?

I would try and find blue legged hermit crabs, they tend to be more reef safe, if you buy them a few extra shells they'll leave the snails alone, but cerith and Astraea are a good choice also nerite and trochus are great reef cleaners. Many snails have different tastes and methods of eating algae.

For me, my cuc always consists of snails, hermits, nassarius, peppermint shrimp, and a conch. I also LOVE micro brittle starfish. They are the best natural cuc. If you can find a forum member to get you some they'll work wonders.

Elo500

Pu 3 Astraea and 2 peppermint shrimp My lfs didn't have any other snails. I posted a video of my shrimp trying to kill a snail. Will look for blue leg hermit this weekend.

1fstnsx

Ive had some hermit crabs eat a snail after it has fallen off the side of the tank. Other than that there are fine. Ive caught some hermit crabs nibble at coral, but im sure it was dead tissue already.

Blue leg hermits are more forgiving as I heard red hermits will attack snails for their shells which I've seen happen to mines

tudes

Red ones tend to get bigger from my experience. Blue legged ones are great, hardy and they manage to get themselves all over the place, even to the top of the rocks. I've gotten a Nudibranch (Lettuce) before. It was great, but kept on finding a way into my sump. I left for 4 days and never found it again...

Have you thought about Scarlet hermits? I've never ever had an issue with one. They are a little more expensive, but they are a lot bigger and therefore easier to watch, plus they graze in groups more. I'm a scarlet hermit fan.

Latest posts