Pinkyfilters.com anyone?

Seen these on Craigslist and they look awesome. I want to try them but their site I feel looks a bit sketchy mainly because there's no address or phone number. Any experiences with these guys?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanks! Just curious. . Why not for saltwater? What do you prefer for saltwater?

Awesome! Thanks! Just curious. . Why not for saltwater? What do you prefer for saltwater?

Unless you CHANGE not rinse, change, the whole pad every few days they just become harbors for detritus and phos, nitrates and ammonia. Also I personally don't use them because they don't allow Copepods and other microbes pass.

Unless you CHANGE not rinse, change, the whole pad every few days they just become harbors for detritus and phos, nitrates and ammonia. Also I personally don't use them because they don't allow Copepods and other microbes pass.
I just hate rinsing filter socks. I used to rinse them outside with the hose then inside ro water but then they would clog quicker and I just found it too tedious. I much rather throw away and cut a new piece once a week or so. About the pods I killed them all when I nuked my tank with copper so no biggie there lol

What do you use to catch floating particles?

What do you use to catch floating particles?

My protein skimmer. Lol sorry, but no really, I don't use anything. The key is to never let it settle. And to limit your feeding. I run a power head in every chamber of my sump. There is no detritus or particles to catch. I learned a lot from my first tank, and I've incorporated a ton of "methods" into my current set up. Not letting detritus settle is just one.

My protein skimmer. Lol sorry, but no really, I don't use anything. The key is to never let it settle. And to limit your feeding. I run a power head in every chamber of my sump. There is no detritus or particles to catch. I learned a lot from my first tank, and I've incorporated a ton of "methods" into my current set up. Not letting detritus settle is just one.
Lol... bout the skimmer. About the stuff settling, it eventually has to though doesn't it? I mean, no matter how much flow you have if you don't have anything to catch these particles they will always just be floating everywhere no?

gonumber24

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't run socks on my 125 and 240 (I used to for years). I see zero difference in the quality / clarity of the water plus, all the little critters don't get caught. I've been sock free for about 6 months now.

I don't run socks on my 125 and 240 (I used to for years). I see zero difference in the quality / clarity of the water plus, all the little critters don't get caught. I've been sock free for about 6 months now.
Nice! Maybe one day I get ballsy too and say the hell with it lol... but considering how much crap I pull out of my sump when I do a water change, the thought of not running anything and just never letting it settle in my tank doesn't sit too well with me.

805reef

Premium Member
Supporter
I've never ran socks before and I have so much stuff floating around my tank, my new build has socks and I'm excited to run them! I bought a big huge thing of felt fabric and am going to make my own socks.

I've never ran socks before and I have so much stuff floating around my tank, my new build has socks and I'm excited to run them! I bought a big huge thing of felt fabric and am going to make my own socks.
Nice. .. i used to like running my socks, I found less build up in my sump. Problem is after a good rinse they would only be good for a pair of days before they would overflow and I hated rinsing every 2 or three days. Then i bought 3 and figured screw it I'll rotate that way I don't have to clean just one and then put it back in i can replace and I can clean two at a time but geeez the smell they produce . And to run bleach and do only 1 load without soap for a filter sock or two. .. yeah Nah.

I've been using mesh socks instead of felt when I do run something to catch solids. They are way easier to clean, although they look flimsy.

Like mentioned above, if I notice i have some crap floating around I'll take a filter sock and fix it around my return drain for a few hours. But my sump is pretty much detritus free, a little sand from a few rocks I've put in there but there really isn't any detritus, the flow doesn't let it settle so the protein skimmer does a pretty good job at removing most of it. What ever is left becomes copepod food.. Or trochus snail food lol I have a ton of baby trochus in my sump.

I've been using mesh socks instead of felt when I do run something to catch solids. They are way easier to clean, although they look flimsy.
Never even knew these existed lol. . Going to check these out next time.
Like mentioned above, if I notice i have some crap floating around I'll take a filter sock and fix it around my return drain for a few hours. But my sump is pretty much detritus free, a little sand from a few rocks I've put in there but there really isn't any detritus, the flow doesn't let it settle so the protein skimmer does a pretty good job at removing most of it. What ever is left becomes copepod food.. Or trochus snail food lol I have a ton of baby trochus in my sump.
Unfortunately I can't have a clean up crew but perhaps adding flow to my sump might be an idea.
How do you guys vacuum your sumps?
I use a pump and hose to the sidewalk. That's how I do my water changes. Two birds one stone. A shop vac though seems like an interested method too though. More versatile to just move the hose vs a powerhead and seems like faster too. I think I might just ask for a shop vac for father's day