MH shuts off

xmas_one

You're going to see a voltage drop with that 100' extension cord. If it's several extension cords together it will be much worse since the wire size is based on the length of the run. Your ballasts are probably pissed off because they aren't getting the voltage they need to run proper if that is the case. Try running the halides off of a "normal" outlet without the extensions and see what you get.

http://www.cerrowire.com/voltage-drop-table

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
I think you nailed it [MENTION=7680]xmas_one[/MENTION]. Ran 2 20 amp circuit to the tank. MH have been going for the last hour without shutting off.

Note to self : MH and power cords just don't mix!

Gonna run them till I got to bed and see if they are both still on. Thanks for the help everyone.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
****, came home to the lights off. 20amp GFI tripped. It only has the light on it. Looks like the second ballast may have been bad as well? I bought it used but brand new in box so theres no returning it. Before I go and order another ballast online, could it be anything else?

I'm really thinking about just picking up some leds at this point.

****, came home to the lights off. 20amp GFI tripped. It only has the light on it. Looks like the second ballast may have been bad as well? I bought it used but brand new in box so theres no returning it. Before I go and order another ballast online, could it be anything else?

I'm really thinking about just picking up some leds at this point.
I think [MENTION=7680]xmas_one[/MENTION] nailed it. I have had similar problems in the past. Getting enough juice to the ballasts is key. That.. And getting too close to the max amperage of the circuit can cause the breaker to trip. I have had half my house go (multiple circuts) because the halides, chiller, return pumps, house a/c and big f-ing TV going all at once. Grated, the panel is 45 years old...
End result, I separated my halides onto their own circuts. Helped a lot. Also had had the halides refuse to kick on after an unexpected shut down. I think there is an internal circuit that may have to wait a few before firing up to full lower.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Yeah. I just seems strange that a 20amp circuit with a 20 amp gfi cant hold 2 400w mh and 4 54 watt t5s. That's all that's on it. I ran a dedicated 20amp for my lights and a 20amp for my chiller and pumps. I was running them on Super Lumen last night(didn't trip) and today(tripped). I now have them on the 400w channel. Its been a couple hours and hasn't tripped. The only variable I see is day vs night, so ambient temperature. Not sure how that would come into play with a tripped GFCI though.

During the middle of the day, the draw on the city grid can cause issues to. Peoples A/C's running etc can cause fluctuations in the total available power available to you. Could be part of the problem too. Hope you get it figured out..
Just as an example, my lights popped the breaker a week or so ago. Thought my A/C took a dump as a result. Turns out that the draw from all my equipment caused a spike at my main, causing the 50 amp breaker on the A/C condenser to pop. Reset it and all is right with the world again.... Except the electric bill of course...

Hamilton Technology

Premium Sponsor
Premium sponsor
Open to the Public - 14900 S. Figueora Street, Gar