Clown fish for 24g

Elo500

Want to add my first fish to my 24g. Would a pair of clownfish work or should I just add a single clown? What should I add as host? (Tank has power compact bulbs). Is it best to let host get established to tank before adding clowns?

Elo500

I was actually going to look for Darwin clowns, love the black and white color. So a pair won't terrorize everything else in a 24g tank?

You should be good with those two. They are very hardy fish. As for a host, you could add in a nice size torch coral and see if they like that. I would say anemone BUT they are difficult to keep in a smaller tank especially if you've never had one before.

I like the percs more than occ clownfish, percs just get along where as my occ have been a mixed bunch of cool dudes and alpha henrys. I have one Occ who is in my sump (g-bay) for months because he just can't be a team player with other clowns.

Elo500

Wow didn't know perc and occ had different temperaments. I head that a pair can be aggressive in a small tank so I think il just get one. As my first tank I'd like a variety of fish and inverts within the limits of a small tank.

percs grow slower as well... mine are super friendly... i have a very small diamond goby in my tank at work, he is awesome and keeps the sand very clean. think in layers when picking fish, bottom, mid top (not that a tank has that much space, but it really helps cut aggression, or that is my experience). think about inverts to round it out too...pom pom crabs for example.

tudes

May I suggest: a pair of rare clowns you like... I bought two that were tank raised, really small (larger is 1 inch and smaller is about 3/4 of an inch), and they're awesome. Short of teaching them to jump (which I rather not since the tank isn't covered) they're like dolphins. They swim from side to side on visual command, in circles, and eat out of your hands.

Will always come up to the very front when you're in front of the tank. Love them.

I have a black ocellaris in my nano 24, but I am leaning towards a Tomato clown now. I may have to put him up for sale here. :)

A pair of true percs would be my first choice if I didn't already have a pair in my 150g reef tank.

Latest posts