electric shock

Came home today. Wondered why the hell my temp controller said 83 when its set to stay at 78. I figured mYbe it was just that hot. Didn't make sense. My corals were All unhappy. Though maybe because the lights just came on or the tank temp was too high so I just waited. 4 hours later (9p) I checked my sump in the garage. Smelled this burn smell. So I checked all the pumps. Ends up my pump on the chiller was not pumping. So I went in to take it out. I get shocked from holding the rim of my sump. So I unplugged stuff 1 at a time and rechecked. Confirmed it was my chiller pump. So the burn was because my chillers been running with no water feed. I'm hoping my coral are unhappy because of the high temp and not from getting shocked. But all my LPs is sucked down to the bones. (,acans, chalace, hammers. All my ZOA's are closed. All my sps(digi, months, cylhestreas) are looking like they're bleaching.

Any recommendations? I'm brewing rodi for a water change tomorrow. Haven't check any parameters yet. No time.

Last edited:
i just had a similar thing happen to me a couple weeks back a fan fell in my display while i was at work and shocked everything or leached something into the water, i got carbon the next day and everything is finally bouncing back good, most of my sps looked bleached, but there all bouncing back now and tank was cloudy for a few days, i started skimming wet too to help everything out. I also didn't do a water change either i didn't wanna stress corals out more then they were already.

i just had a similar thing happen to me a couple weeks back a fan fell in my display while i was at work and shocked everything or leached something into the water, i got carbon the next day and everything is finally bouncing back good, most of my sps looked bleached, but there all bouncing back now and tank was cloudy for a few days, i started skimming wet too to help everything out. I also didn't do a water change either i didn't wanna stress corals out more then they were already.
so dont take corals out? ill wet skim tonight. hopefully I have time to test my parameters

i didn't, only because i didn't want to stress them out even more by moving them?? i thought most of my tank was gonna crash but it ended up clearing up within a few days, and now my sps are getting color back when i thought forsure they were dead

BeanMachine

Supporter
Rio 2500.

So should I take my coral out? And yay or nay on the water change? I'm due for a water change anyways.
I would do as the others are saying, fresh carbon and a water change. To reduce stress to the corals, make sure to match the salinity, cal, alk and mag of the new saltwater to your display.

I would do as the others are saying, fresh carbon and a water change. To reduce stress to the corals, make sure to match the salinity, cal, alk and mag of the new saltwater to your display.
Hopefully I find carbon in my mess. I'll do a water change for sure. Worst comes to worst And All my coral dies. I'm gonna dry out my rock to take care of my hair algae. Then go semi folwlr. Predator tank.

xmas_one

FWIW, I had the exact same pump (Rio 2500) shocking the hell out of me a while back. Swapped it out with zero effects on the corals.

So my acans are a little puffier and coming out. 15%?. My challace is a goner. Down to the bones and skin peeling. Monties long bleached. Setosa dead :'( my favorite. ZOA's still closed but not as sucked up. Unfortunately I had a purchased lined up so I added some pieces. I'm sure theyll be gone tomorrow since its all sps .

Here aRe my parameters

Alk 10.6....
Cal 390..
Mag 1240...
Phos 2.0..
Nitrate 0.
Ammonia looks like 0.25 possibly 0.5...
Nitrite 0.
PH 8.8

Dont remember where all the numbers should be. But. Looks like my cal And mag is a bit low but nothing bad. Not sure why I have ammonia. Could my tank be at the end of a cycle. I filled it may 11th or so. So its been 7 weeks. Only 2 fish in there and barely any feeding. I did a 20% water change and will do another tomorrow. Also running carbon.

Last edited:
Ideal range
Alk 8-9
Cal 440-470
Mag 1350-1500

pH shouldn't go above 8.4

But even if you can't chase those numbers. Stability is key.

What salt mix are you using? Test Alk on your new salt mix. It's probably high on Alk. Are you dosing two-part?

Latest posts