Why does my clown fish like to hang by the MP40

tudes

I have a pair of clownfish, they're great, love em. I wanted a community/reef tank so they're certainly the focal point. I got them young and they are still really small, half the size of my thumb is probably the male (smaller one).

Question - why the hell does he like to hang by the MP40 swimming vertically? It makes me nervous, I know the MP40 doesn't suck in, but seriously, why's he gotta do that?

Any ideas?

BTW - they're great, they can eat out of my hands and all.

-D

tudes

Great question, I don't have a lot of livestock and no, not all day. Just some times when I see him and definitely when he's sleeping... Haha just makes me nervous. I don't have nems yet, but hopefully that'll give them a home. Just makes me nervous.

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey Daniel, fish generally like lots of flow. There is nothing wrong with a fish that likes to ride the current or hang by a pump. if the fish is hanging out there most of the day then that is a bad sign. They might be looking for some kind of relief. If a fish is getting blown by current or looks weaker than the flow, it is in my experience that the fish is on its way out.

Clowns are weird!! My Bali turned out to be a spitter, lol. He goes to the same corner at random times thru out the day and spits water over the same corner every single day and dirties my glass. If he wasn't such an awesome looking clown I'd boot his arse in a heartbeat

Ive looked up vertical swimming at the surface for my new clowns and, it appears to be a symptom of bladder issue and/or oxygen deprivation. I increased my airflow at the surface for oxy. I sprinkled some metro on their food to take care of bladder if that was the prob. 2 mths later, theyre still at the corners. They switch corners but hang out by jets. They swim normal. Eat tons. Vissable growth and health progression. They swim stronger than currents. They just seemed to be most at ease there. I used some metro about once a week maybe twice at begining. Just a lil.
I believe my main issue for the corner hugging is my 6 lined wrasse. Do u have a wrasse? They very territorial. Until I get him calmed down I feel my clowns won't be 100% but I feel that's just something u deal with with when adding fish. Now i have to deal with that.. I have a 125 gal tank with a 2" 6line. come on now. He kills me. Time should tell. Just try best to keep them fed especially young clowns. Im hopeing its just taking my clowns some time to grow some balls and they'll be ok. As long as they're healthy. If u have a magnetic algae scraper, place it by them and they'll maybe feel lil more secure by it. Lil more homey.
I hope mine arnt hosting the jets like gumbii tho :/ that sucks dude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Latest posts