How to build a tank stand?

Can anyone help me build/guide me through building a tank stand that has a sump the same length as the tank? I want to add a 20 gallon sump to my 56 gallon tank. The tank dimensions is 30 w x 18 w and the sump dimensions is 30 w x 12.5. How do I start? What lumber do I use? Help?

Ohana means family and family means no seahorse gets left behind.

RonaldoH

I just finished building a stand for my 55, I'll tell you now you need to get the correct wood working tools (which can all be had from harbor freight for relatively cheap) and a lot of patience, cuts have to be very precise if you want it to look decent. Other than that it's just some screws, 2x4's, and sanded plywood. This was my finished product stand and canopy the doors slide and I have a 20 long sump in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished building a stand for my 55, I'll tell you now you need to get the correct wood working tools (which can all be had from harbor freight for relatively cheap) and a lot of patience, cuts have to be very precise if you want it to look decent. Other than that it's just some screws, 2x4's, and sanded plywood. This was my finished product stand and canopy the doors slide and I have a 20 long sump in it.

Dude that looks amazing. Did you have to sand the edges by hand?-- I'm new to building.

RonaldoH

Yes I had to sand them down but not too much, the key to making clean plywood cuts is using a plywood specific blade and putting painters tape where your making the cut, it helps the wood from splintering.

Also, there are quite a few videos on you tube that show you how to build a stand
I checked several out. But I hate to say it. It's excruciating to watch them. They never describe the dimensions, why they put braces in certain parts of the frame, which parts to reinforce, how to sand it down, what to sand it down with, what lumber they are using.. I'm a newbie so sifting through those videos collecting information still left me with at least those questions.

So far I've got a good frame to work with. Now I need the skin. I took the advise of both boys above. Working my way through it.

Just taking a little longer than expected because my seahorse are mating and so I'm preparing for that.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again guys for your support and knowledge!

RonaldoH

I checked several out. But I hate to say it. It's excruciating to watch them. They never describe the dimensions, why they put braces in certain parts of the frame, which parts to reinforce, how to sand it down, what to sand it down with, what lumber they are using.. I'm a newbie so sifting through those videos collecting information still left me with at least those questions.

So far I've got a good frame to work with. Now I need the skin. I took the advise of both boys above. Working my way through it.

Just taking a little longer than expected because my seahorse are mating and so I'm preparing for that.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again guys for your support and knowledge!

Nice sea horses! Is that the wood your using for the frame? Have you built it yet? Keep in mind if the frame is not perfectly square you won't be able to skin in properly, that's what happened to me my first go around. As far as wood goes the choose is yours there are several different species of sanded plywood available. Oak will stain nicely, I went with a pine because it was the cheapest and I was keeping the plywood look. Also for the skin I wouldn't go less than half inch in thickness or you might have some undesired warping or bowing of the wood.

[MENTION=9742]RonaldoH[/MENTION] thanks for the tips, def going with pine also for budget, the wood for the frame is treated lumber (husband thought it might be a good idea) Thoughts?

RonaldoH

Pressure treated lumber has a very high moisture content and contains lots of chemicals you don't want inside your house. It's intended for outdoor use, I wouldn't use it. For the frame just use regular 2x4's from hd or lowes. Go thru them to find the straightest ones possible, lay them on the floor and check straightness on both surfaces. 1 in 10 will be straight enough for cabinet building.

RonaldoH

[MENTION=9742]RonaldoH[/MENTION] thanks for the tips, def going with pine also for budget, the wood for the frame is treated lumber (husband thought it might be a good idea) Thoughts?

Hey I'm pm'ing you but your inbox is full.

Latest posts