Help, before I do something stupid...

Ctimpson

Ok... So my tank is setup and has been running since sunday... I went to my lfs to pick up a test kit... I haven't cycled anything yet, but my friend at the LFS told me not to... I put 40lbs of base rock, old LR from another tank that sat drained for 6 months and 12lbs of CURED LR from my LFS into the tank on sunday... He told me that since I had the CURED LR and the other rock that I shouldn't add the ammonia and just keep testing my water till everything was at 0ppm... Is this right? Should I add the ammonia or not... My current readings are Ammonia 0ppm: Nitrites 1.0ppm: Nitrates 20ppm: PH 8.2.... What should I do? Thanks!!! By the way, I am planning on buying more live rock, but I can't find it for less than 5.00 lb... Any suggestions on where to buy some from...

it sounds like you do have some bacteria action going on, but its a bit soon to say its cycled. adding the ammonia will help build up the natural filtration. like adding a fish, without adding a fish. it won't hurt to do it, your tank still needs to cycle more. check sdreefs if you are in san diego area, there is some LR on there for 2.50lb.

Latest posts