Anybody rocking a planar overflow?

Is that like this?

I think seahorses are cool.
is that your tank...??? i love the colors of the PVC... so cool...

well, somewhat but his is part of the aquarium... you will be able to see the water fall behind, yet inside the aquarium at the same time... it's very nice... like an external coast to coast....

DurocShark

Yeah, being silent is one of the main reasons for this setup since it'll be in my bedroom. The main overflow will be valved herbie style, while the center section will be wide open and intentionally splashy to alert me there's a problem. The last and widest section is the return. I made it the largest so the water flow would be slow. Since there's no nozzle I don't want the water flying up out of the tank. ;) The filter's flow will be very low, I'm using a tunze silence .008 return pump, so we're not talking a lot of flow. My Jebao RW-4 will handle flow inside the tank.

This overflow design also allows me to get the tank right up to the wall, and doesn't take up visual space inside the tank like a traditional "reef ready" overflow. It probably takes the same volume as other styles, but like a coast to coast it doesn't look like it.

just wondering, other than being more silent, can you state other advantages of this type of overflow?

is that your tank...??? i love the colors of the PVC... so cool...

well, somewhat but his is part of the aquarium... you will be able to see the water fall behind, yet inside the aquarium at the same time... it's very nice... like an external coast to coast....
Yeah, it's my super Mario bros inspired build for my Erectus Seahorse tank!

I think seahorses are cool.

Test fitting the black acrylic back panel.

This will serve to hide the overflow and shade it from the light to prevent algae growth.

Cut the notches and peeled off the paper. I thought I had some glue somewhere, but can't find it. So can't glue the cap on until I get some next week.

Unnecessary for getting it started though. :) I can fill it and roll...

I'm debating whether I care if there are partitions in the sump. Since I'm not doing a refugium, there's no reason I can think of that I would need them.