Another Question...

Ctimpson

I have a really crappy pet store across the street from me... It used to be a good one but the new owner doesn't know anything about fish... He has some saltwater tanks that have been sitting for about 6 months and the has a clown or two in them... He has lots or rock in the tanks that has algae and other things growing on them. Would it be a bad idea to buy the LR off of him and if so, how should I treat it before putting it in my tank

thats tough to say without looking at it. some algae is good, some is a pest. you want to look for aptasia, thats bad. as far as special treatment, your only real risk is killing anything sensitive to nitrates and ammonia during cycling. shouldn't be much of a problem, plus after a good cycle, and a water change you can add a clean up crew to take care of the algae.
pic of aptasia

Ctimpson

So the green is bad, I think his is more of a dark slime... It definately doesn't look like the LR I purchased for 5.00 lb... So No or yes...

well, the dark slime, assuming its a dark red, will help you lower nitrates, it will take nitrates and turn it into nitrogen gas bubbles, ok for cycling but can be a pain later on, but once you get your tank healthy it will go away. it will be no different than buying other liverock, this is just very aged rock, you know whats on it, no surprises, what you see is what you get, if you like the algae it will be fine, if you don't want that algae in your tank, don't get it. it will not hurt your cycling any.

Use your judgement. Fresh new live rock can be cheaper and has not been soaking up nitrates and phosphpates.

Dead rock with some time to get seeded is a good way to go also.

Some sellers on Ebay have new rock for $2 per pound plus shipping. There may be a local seller where you can get cured, newly imported rock. I bought a 100 lbs of hand picked rock in Diamond Bar.

Latest posts