Mangroves

Has anyone put mangroves in the overflow? I like to put 1 or 2 just for aesthetics I'm planin in secure them to the durso standpipe

Six2seven

Premium Member
Supporter
I had mangroves in my sump for years and it was just too hard to keep them in a place where they looked good and in a place that met its requirements. i have a few tips for being successful.

1. Keep the stems and leaves dry. Only the root or bottom should be in the water. once you get it wet, forget it. the leaves will fall off and start over. If you come home and the whole thing is in the water, its unlikely to make it.

2. Keep them well lit with correct plant lighting. 10k+ is my opinion.

3. They consume a high amount of magnesium. keep your mag very high, IE 1500+

4. keep the leaves clean. wipe the leaves carefully with RODI to get the salt creep off them. DO not rinse them.

I've been trying to keep mangroves for about a year and a half and have reached what I think is a somewhat successful batch. I've tried many from different sources and the best result was +50% success rate with the buy 50 pods on Amazon and root them yourself approach. (I could have gotten better, I was just lazy with getting all the pods floated.)

The key factors I feel were:

1) Be very careful with the roots and leaves. If you get a break, it's going to be a goner.
2) Lots of light

I misted them with RODI in the beginning and now, I leave the leaves alone and can pour any water on the stalks to clear the salt creep.

The roots get pretty unwieldy. I've yet to "plant them" but plan on having them in their own refuge section soon.

I would worry about the roots clogging up the overflow.

These I bought in March:

Latest posts