Marine Aquarium Do's and Don'ts for Beginners

DON'T add that new coral to your tank until you use a coral dip. When adding new corals to your tank make sure to use a coral dip first, to avoid future problems from pests or unhealthy hitchhikers that may be dwelling within them. Or in other terms...Guy walks into a bar:a26:, finds a date:beer:...they go home:flypig:...next morning guy wakes up:becky:...guy looks down:bolt:...guy has a new unwanted friend :a23::a43::violin:

Heres a funny little demonstration on how it works..Coral rx commercial LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoX1-dFppYQ

Hello all, new to site and green to hobby. I recently bought a used biocube29. Ive added a skimmer, heater, mixing my salt water with red sea and water from store. Had the tank cycle with 25lb of LR, 20lb of sugar grain LS, 10 lb of dry aragonite 1mm, and 8 oz of instant ocean live bacteria. Had it cycle for 2wks. Added my CUC for a week. Bought 5 damsels, 3 didnt make home, 1 died 3 days later. Still got 1 fighting like a champ. Bought a 5 more. Now im left w 1 domino and 2yellowtail. Now for the "i dont know what happened" look. But my water looks bubbly or debris. I think its my filtration. Want to upgrade, but their so much to choose. I also bought a few different lighting (led and mh). I need help frm experienced aquarist as to which direction or option would work best. Do apologise if i was writing a book. School os now in session, any suggestions.

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
First of all, welcome. Second, get those poor fish out of there. 3rd, let the tank mature on its own before adding fish and corals (patience is vital in this hobby). 2 weeks isn't enough time for a tank to establish bacterial colonies large enough to support healthy livestock. You will see an algae bloom (if you're not going through it already). Get good testing kits such as salifert or elos to test for ammonia, nitrate and ph. Once there is no ammonia detected and ph is within 8-8.4, you can start adding livestock SLOWLY. Damsels are usually mean and territorial so I wouldn't recommend adding any, especially if you plan on adding more docile fish later. Hope that helps. Any other questions, ask away.

wickedfish

Yep testing kits and go through all the beginner threads on proper quarantine and cycling a tank. We've all killed fish here, not as many as Lawrence but I had my brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advise, will wait longer. What cause my rock to loose it color. No algae growth, some rock have yellowish/greenvresidue. Have some mushroom colony hanging on and growing. Any suggestion on filter upgrade. Thinking bout going w the media basket upgrade. Any has that set up? Ive also gutted my canopy for some aquaray reef tablet. But for some reason its not giving me a broad spectrum. So i took it out and have it mounted on top and went convertible. I also bought a 175k MH. As for my bubbly waterbissue. Whats the devil behind that?

Ran all suggested test. All parameters are in order. Also took sample to 2 pet store for opion. Same rrsults as my home test. So i bought a goby&yellow blenny. My boys are so happy to have those fish. Especially the blenny. Now, i have a bully. Ive added the damsel thru an advise from the local pet store as part of my cycle. Planning on taking out once cycle is done. I was up to 3am, trying yo get one particular one (domino) out. Any suggestions.

BeanMachine

Supporter
Ran all suggested test. All parameters are in order. Also took sample to 2 pet store for opion. Same rrsults as my home test. So i bought a goby&yellow blenny. My boys are so happy to have those fish. Especially the blenny. Now, i have a bully. Ive added the damsel thru an advise from the local pet store as part of my cycle. Planning on taking out once cycle is done. I was up to 3am, trying yo get one particular one (domino) out. Any suggestions.
You can purchase or borrow a fish trap. Damsels are hard to catch. Stores that recommend cycling a tank with a fish when its not necessary is wrong. Not your fault and newbs get suckered into that advice all the time. Live and learn.

Any pics? Post some of your setup in the welcome mat area.

I used a fish trap, I borrowed from Carson tropical fish. I was able to get my yellow tail damsel out with in 5 mins. Too bad It didn't work with catching my blue tangs.... I need to move them to a bigger home.

Thanks for the great info, I am almost ready to start setting up my tank and cycling it... just making sure im doing everything right and according to these posts im on the right track!!

Is adding purified drinking water to the tank a good or bad thing? When my water evaporates I add water I buy to drink myself, should still treat the water with some chemical?

If it distilled with 0 TDS it's perfectly fine. I would test it for TDS at your local LFS. Or buy a small meter. I have one if you're in my area I can test it for you.

If you don't want to second guess make your own RODI or buy from a reputable sponsor. If you do buy, test it every time anyway. I've heard many horror stories lately and in the past. I tested some "Rodi" water from a place we all go to "non sponsor" and the water had Eighty something TDS.

Don't go off of the assumption that your PH in the calcium reactor is stable, means everything is perfectly balanced. Alk spike FTL, I kiweed a very nice piece, fuuuuuuuuu!

Latest posts