Coral questions

justjes45

Hi!
I am new to this addictive hobby! Loving it and there is so much to learn about...
Are all corals compatible? Some look soft/ bubbly.. Some look hard.
I have a full spectrum light, is there anything else I need? I don't want to invest in corals and then kill any due to my own stupidity...
Thanks!

Just sitt'in round, staring at my tank...

My Tank Build
O man this is not a question where your going to get an easy answer. There are so many different variables. Some corals will kill each other by touching some will cause chemical warfare and kill multiple things. Some get long feels that come out of them and will attack anything that's with in a few inches of them. Some corals like different parameters of water then other corals. The best advice I could give u is know what your buying before buying it and make sure it's compatible with your system.
The light should b good enough. Got any pics of your setup?

justjes45

Any advice of any kind you can give me is welcome! I am new to the hobby and I have so much to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
my advice is start reading there is different ways of doing one thing. this might work for me but not you. learn your system.

tell us about your system.

what do you want to keep soft coral, hard corals? where do you live find a local club dont be shy

justjes45

Yes that is a mess. I keep pulling it off when I do a water change and the snails do not seem to eat it I am not sure what else to do
I love all corals and I do not mind a couple of fish. I just want everything to be happy in their little ecosystem.

justjes45

I do not know of anybody in my area that has a saltwater tank. We live in Vermont and even my closest fish store is an hour away.
I have been doing a lot of reading, and so many things conflict each other is confusing.
I have a 30 gallon tank. Started in late January. I just learned about how important calcium was today Every day I learn something pretty soon I hope to be better at this!

You have made a good first and second step. Read all that you can. Ask a ton of questions.
As you have already found out, there is a lot of conflicting information out there. As [MENTION=654]lowbudget[/MENTION] said earlier, what works for one tank may not work for another. Understand YOUR tank and what works for you.
There are a few simple truths in this hobby though, here are a few of the stand outs (at least for me)
Stability is key make sure your maintenance is easy, so you'll do it often
Research your fish/coral purchases first Buying on impulse is fun, but can sometimes backfire
NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS FAST sounds super simplistic, but it VERY true. Fish and coral just don't grow big and impressive over night. If you are able to keep things relatively simple for the long haul, you will ultimately be successful.

Remember ask lots of questions. But... That said, the more info you can give us regarding your tank including water parameters, inhabitants, or whatever else that might be appropriate to help answer your question, the better we will be able to help.

Now about that hair algae.............

lowbudget

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes – that is a mess. I keep pulling it off when I do a water change and the snails do not seem to eat it… I am not sure what else to do
I love all corals – and I do not mind a couple of fish. I just want everything to be happy in their little ecosystem.

if there isnt any coral do a hydraporoixde dip full dose until it melts then scrub away. and rinse

Latest posts