What is the best way to "CYCLE" a Reef Tank?

ngvu111

Yes, that would come from either die off or what you seed it with ie. a shrimp. Best to test from the beginning. First you'll get zeros for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate... then you will see say 1.0 ppm ammonia and zero nitrite and nitrate. So on until it converts to nitrate and you can filter with water change or skimming.
Thank you BeanMachine. So for a 29Gal Cube, how big should the shrimp be? Like a guppy size?????
My cousin gave me some "used to be" live rock, but I am sure it is dead now because the empty tank has been in the garage for a while. Should I trash that and buy new live rock from a fish store?
PetSmart sell live sand, but it is in a bag laying on the shelf. I guess the bacteria will grow once we cycle the tank???

ngvu111

use a shrimp from the grocery store, using a fish to cycle is way old school and completely not necessary...
Hi Skidazl, what do you mean not necessary? I really don't understand much and I am learning this thing, so plz forgive the silly questions.

Hi Skidazl, what do you mean not necessary? I really don't understand much and I am learning this thing, so plz forgive the silly questions.
U dnt have to add a hardy fish like a cromis or w.e. 2$ fish u find at ur lfs. A piece Shrimp will suffice to start the ammonia cycle..
The way I cycled my 125 was by first making the water, filling the tank, then adding a ton of live rock (I hear the lr from coral gazers is good for cycling).

Wait a couple of days.. check parameters

Next day, check again

.4 days later check again..
Add live sand

6days later add protein Skimmer

8 days later test again

Ect....

I'n a few weeks your tank should be cycled.... Then you begin to add the extra stuff

Phosban
Pellets
Lights

W.e.

Check parameters again ...if they r good, start adding livestock....

I watched a show on TV called tanked and they said you dint have to cycle....Just throw everything in and watch it flourish!

LOL

Tangwich

2020 Philanthropist
I watched a show on TV called tanked and they said you dint have to cycle....Just throw everything in and watch it flourish!

LOL

bahahahahahahaha...i'm going to call you witches' brew paddle, cus you sure love to stir the pot :lol:

im starting a pico tank and alreaady have a 60g thats been going for awhile.. question is it possible to just put dead rock only in pico and use my water from my other tank to cycle it? or do i need to have live rock also? thanks

5ft24

im starting a pico tank and alreaady have a 60g thats been going for awhile.. question is it possible to just put dead rock only in pico and use my water from my other tank to cycle it? or do i need to have live rock also? thanks
you need live rock... 99% of the bacteria is in the sand and rock, 1% or less will be in the water column at any one time... Used water won't help cycle a tank or start a cycle.

you need live rock... 99% of the bacteria is in the sand and rock, 1% or less will be in the water column at any one time... Used water won't help cycle a tank or start a cycle.
you're right! but you could keep saying that until you're blue in the face and I still hear LFS employess telling customers to use "mature tank water"

5ft24

alrighty i ended up just putting the rock for my pico in my main tank to wait till the get the bacteria they need then go from there good idea??
you could also buy a bottle of Microbacter 7. Put the dead shrimp in there, and dose with the MB... MB is the bacteria you need in a bottle... It will colonize in the rocks and sand, and the decomposing shrimp provides the ammonia etc that it needs to flourish.

ngvu111

Hi,

My cousin gave me some "used to be" live rock, but I am sure it is dead now because the empty tank has been in the garage for a while. Should I trash that and buy new live rock from a fish store?
Second question is that do we turn on the light when we are cycling the tank?

Thank you

ambixel

I just started a 75g a few weeks ago but first day I had fish and corals. Instead of cycling, I found a guy on craigslist selling his live rock for $1/pound and he gave me his yellow tang and 2 clown fish. So since he was getting rid of his tank, I took his water too (after testing it). It was perfect bcuz his tank had been running for over a year. The only new bacteria I guess, was from the new live sand I bought. He had a few polyp colonies that died on the rocks due to insufficient lighting, but I have a 4 bulb t5, and its all starting to grow big now. Easier cycling technique I guess

Ambixel,

Welcome! Can you post some more info on your tank? Dimensions, light duration, brand, light bulb brands, skimmer brand, how much live rock, how deep is the live sand, what power heads you have, and size of your sump?

What tests do you use for the water??? Like alkalinity, nitrate, phosphate, and calcium, and refractometer? You mix your own?

Great thread, I was nervous about my live/dead rock.. I bought lr from someone on cl and he gave me a great deal plus his tanks spoke for themselves so I trust him, but when he told me just throw some shrimp in to cycle my tank I have to admit I was skeptical but after reading this post I am happy and excited to start my tank!!! Thanks all for the great info!!

I used dry sand and primo reef rock (dry). I waited two days and added Dr. Tims "all in one" with two fish. All parameters were great and I started adding corals a few days later. A month after I had a 2' x 4' frag tank full and a dozen fish. Been a few months and haven't looked back. Totals water volume of about 360 gallons...
You don't have to add dead fish to your system to cycle it. There's a couple really good youtube videos where Dr. Tim explains it all...he's the Marine Biologist, not me.. it works though.. Just my opinion..

pgr11

Supporter
I used dr tims as well and it worked like a charm. dosed it with the ammonia he included and a week after dosing I could does to 4ppm ammonia and in 24 hrs 0 ammonia. Great stuff and will always use it in the future

Latest posts