What is the best way to "CYCLE" a Reef Tank?

garygb

I've always added liverock, a few damsels and fed them generously. I monitor the ammonia and nitrite and usually the tank cycles in a couple of weeks.

skull87

Very good imformation n i added a good live rock that was running for 6 months n put it on my new tank n i put some live bacteria n i have zero ammonia n nitrite is that good?

The two biggies to test for are nitrate and phosphate. You can have zero ammonia and zero nitrite and still be off the charts on the other two.

When talking about live rock does that include the artificial rock that a lot of stores are using nowadays? I prefer not to damage reefs if possible so if I can just use artificial rock that has been in a previous setup and use that to cycle then that would be great.

When talking about live rock does that include the artificial rock that a lot of stores are using nowadays? I prefer not to damage reefs if possible so if I can just use artificial rock that has been in a previous setup and use that to cycle then that would be great.
If it is cured then technically it is live rock. I'm guessing they are the purple eco rocks? It should work.

I watched a show on TV called tanked and they said you dint have to cycle....Just throw everything in and watch it flourish!

LOL
bahahahahahahaha...i'm going to call you witches' brew paddle, cus you sure love to stir the pot :lol:
What's not funny is, if you've seen that show, do you remember the KISS Mini Golf tank, when the guys picked out fish for each KISS member? Well, I was at that Grand Opening and then at the mini golf place a month later. A month later the tank had no fish, just water.

Corals&Reefs

Premium Member
Supporter
Great suggestions about cycling. I agree with live rock and patience as being the key. And, over course, the bigger the tank the better!!!

Reefboy

When I start up a new tank I always do a major water change, pull rock and sand from one of my established tanks and use this for the new tank. Doing this I have never had to wait for a cycle. You will get a small spike in NH3 and PH4 at first in the new tank but I have been able to put fish and coral in the first day with no die-off . I know most might not have a established tank to do this with but you might have a friend that dose.

What is the best way to "CYCLE" a Reef Tank?

What's not funny is, if you've seen that show, do you remember the KISS Mini Golf tank, when the guys picked out fish for each KISS member? Well, I was at that Grand Opening and then at the mini golf place a month later. A month later the tank had no fish, just water.
Shoot I always wondered what kind of witchcraft was going on in that show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk