Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Name
    Bean
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidazl View Post
    use a shrimp from the grocery store, using a fish to cycle is way old school and completely not necessary...
    Most definitely.
    Reef-A-Palooza CA - November 19th & 20th 2016

SCMAS / SCRK / IEMAS / LARS / MASLAC = Club Junky #HobbitLivesMatter

300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PowerModule- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- AquaMaxx CO5- Apex- Wrasse Lover

Contributing Member
    Name
    King Tutankhamun
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shrimpy smells good after a week.

Registered Member
    Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question about step 2. How long should I wait before testing the water after putting the live rock and salt water in? If we just put the live rock and salt water in, there should not be any ammonia or nitrite right? And where are the ammonia and nitrite coming from? From the die-off on the rock?

"Step 2. When all the live rock is in the tank, test for ammonia and nitrite. You need to get a zero reading, which could take 2 to 6 weeks, depending on the amount of die-off on the rock. Do not proceed to step 3 until steps 1 and 2 are complete."

Name
    Bean
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ngvu1 View Post
    I have a question about step 2. How long should I wait before testing the water after putting the live rock and salt water in? If we just put the live rock and salt water in, there should not be any ammonia or nitrite right? And where are the ammonia and nitrite coming from? From the die-off on the rock?

"Step 2. When all the live rock is in the tank, test for ammonia and nitrite. You need to get a zero reading, which could take 2 to 6 weeks, depending on the amount of die-off on the rock. Do not proceed to step 3 until steps 1 and 2 are complete."
    Yes, that would come from either die off or what you seed it with ie. a shrimp. Best to test from the beginning. First you'll get zeros for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate... then you will see say 1.0 ppm ammonia and zero nitrite and nitrate. So on until it converts to nitrate and you can filter with water change or skimming.
    Reef-A-Palooza CA - November 19th & 20th 2016

SCMAS / SCRK / IEMAS / LARS / MASLAC = Club Junky #HobbitLivesMatter

300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PowerModule- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- AquaMaxx CO5- Apex- Wrasse Lover

Contributing Member
    Name
    King Tutankhamun
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Count on it taking a few weeks. My cycle on my 225gallon took 3 weeks. My cousins tank took 4 weeks but I only tested twice the whole time. At one week and 4 weeks.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member
    Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
    Yes, that would come from either die off or what you seed it with ie. a shrimp. Best to test from the beginning. First you'll get zeros for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate... then you will see say 1.0 ppm ammonia and zero nitrite and nitrate. So on until it converts to nitrate and you can filter with water change or skimming.
    Thank you BeanMachine. So for a 29Gal Cube, how big should the shrimp be? Like a guppy size?????
    My cousin gave me some "used to be" live rock, but I am sure it is dead now because the empty tank has been in the garage for a while. Should I trash that and buy new live rock from a fish store?
    PetSmart sell live sand, but it is in a bag laying on the shelf. I guess the bacteria will grow once we cycle the tank???

Registered Member
    Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidazl View Post
    use a shrimp from the grocery store, using a fish to cycle is way old school and completely not necessary...
    Hi Skidazl, what do you mean not necessary? I really don't understand much and I am learning this thing, so plz forgive the silly questions.

Banned
    Name
    Luis
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ngvu1 View Post
    Hi Skidazl, what do you mean not necessary? I really don't understand much and I am learning this thing, so plz forgive the silly questions.
    U dnt have to add a hardy fish like a cromis or w.e. 2$ fish u find at ur lfs. A piece Shrimp will suffice to start the ammonia cycle..
    The way I cycled my 125 was by first making the water, filling the tank, then adding a ton of live rock (I hear the lr from coral gazers is good for cycling).

Wait a couple of days.. check parameters

Next day, check again

.4 days later check again..
    Add live sand

6days later add protein Skimmer

8 days later test again

Ect....

I'n a few weeks your tank should be cycled.... Then you begin to add the extra stuff

Phosban
    Pellets
    Lights

W.e.

Check parameters again ...if they r good, start adding livestock....

9. Thanks Elo500 thanked for this post
    Beer Me!
    Name
    TOM and Im an alcoholic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched a show on TV called tanked and they said you dint have to cycle....Just throw everything in and watch it flourish!

LOL

Name
    Jesse
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Proraptor View Post
    I watched a show on TV called tanked and they said you dint have to cycle....Just throw everything in and watch it flourish!

LOL

bahahahahahahaha...i'm going to call you witches' brew paddle, cus you sure love to stir the pot

Registered Member
    Name
    Blake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im starting a pico tank and alreaady have a 60g thats been going for awhile.. question is it possible to just put dead rock only in pico and use my water from my other tank to cycle it? or do i need to have live rock also? thanks

Contributing Member
    Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scroger reef View Post
    im starting a pico tank and alreaady have a 60g thats been going for awhile.. question is it possible to just put dead rock only in pico and use my water from my other tank to cycle it? or do i need to have live rock also? thanks
    you need live rock... 99% of the bacteria is in the sand and rock, 1% or less will be in the water column at any one time... Used water won't help cycle a tank or start a cycle.
    2 cats

Contributing Member
    Name
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5ft24 View Post
    you need live rock... 99% of the bacteria is in the sand and rock, 1% or less will be in the water column at any one time... Used water won't help cycle a tank or start a cycle.
    you're right! but you could keep saying that until you're blue in the face and I still hear LFS employess telling customers to use "mature tank water"

Contributing Member
    Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    you're right! but you could keep saying that until you're blue in the face and I still hear LFS employess telling customers to use "mature tank water"
    unfortunately they think saltwater and freshwater are identical LOL
    2 cats

Registered Member
    Name
    Blake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alrighty i ended up just putting the rock for my pico in my main tank to wait till the get the bacteria they need then go from there good idea??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information