Setting up a QT help... Looking for help with QT treatment

Good evening!

So, I am a newbie and I have a 40 gallon tank and I lost 2 clown fish :-( and after research and talking with a good buddy of mine, it was determined that my fish got the ich. So, I am going to be setting up a QT and I would appreciate all help with this, for example what treatment should I get, what works best, how to do it, and the amount of time I should wait.

Also, my main tank... what should do I? Is the ich still in there? How can I get rid of it in there? I still have one yellow tang alive in there but he is being attacked for sure, bits of his fins are disappearing. (See pics: pic 1; just bought, pic 2; taken October 5, pic 3; taken October 5)

Thank you so much!

Attachments

That looks bad. You would need to take out all your fish and and leave the tank fish less for at least 6 weeks. Treat all new fish with copper for 2-3 weeks.

And someone is probably gonna post a fish food recipe to help out, but your fish will still have ich :ridinghorse:

I've set up several QT's in the past and Ive always had great success with cupramine for ich and prazipro for internal parasites. Your QT has to be a cycled tank before you can put fish in, Ive done in 2 ways: Taking a few pieces of live rock from the display to use as the filtration; be aware that I wouldn't putting those rocks back into the display after treatment. This especially worked well for finicky fish like Achilles, Regal angel, Golden angels that Ive had success with because they had opourtunity to pick at the rock. The other option is to purchase a sponge filter or ceramic media into your sump for at for at least a week and half so that it has a chance to colonize bacteria. Put ceramic media into a hang on back filter or canister filter to use on the QT to move water through the media.

Next you'll need something to provide water flow, and method of keeping the temperature within correct range. Lights are not essential.

I raise cupramine over a course of several days to .50ppm and used Salifert or Red sea tests. Ive noticed that it takes a little longer to raise copper levels with live rock as the filter because I believe the rock tends to absorb the medication so daily testing will be important for the first few weeks, after you notice stability the copper levels will tend to remain pretty constant. Keep copper as stable as possible over at least 1 month.

To remove cupramine you can use carbon, any metal absorbent and I believe protein skimming removes it also but I cant remember.

After cuppramine treatment is done you'll need to keep the fish in QT for about 2 months more in order to starve out the ich cycsts that are present in the display. This is a good time to use prazi pro.

If any fish start stressing out from the copper such as losing color, not eating etc... lower the copper levels a bit. Some fish may have a decreased appetite while on these medications so try to feed them well before and during the treatment.

I've also tried the tank transfer method to rid the fish of Ich. I prefer using cupramine.

Hope this helps

BTW dont mix the meds and if you or anyone else wants more info on qts and meds pm me and ill give you my procedures and information through texts.

Latest posts