Horrible sound to wake up to .... gurgling in your tank

I have a Bean style overflow (weir) and 3 drains, which is almost completely silent. I can't hear it from my bedroom normally.

So around 550am this morning I got up to hit the head, laid back down intent on sleeping in...then I hear gurgle gurgle slop slop.....what the hell...something is wrong with my tank. I get up and the return has stopped pumping water and my sump and fuge are filling up. Ah crap, my POS DC12000 gave out....then I realize none of the fans in the house are running and it is dead silent.

30 minutes later the power came back on....

I have a generator in my garage, still in the box, I guess I have to get it setup.

I am wondering, how long can a tank go without power before you have to worry about 02 in the water? I'm thinking with a 240, I have about an hour or so (17 smallish fish). Anyone have an idea?

David

I also have a 240, and have had the power go out a couple of times for well over an hour. With that volume, IMO you have a couple of hours easy. I'd still set that generator up just to be safe..

I have a 150 and have had 30-60minute power outages no problem. I recently hooked up my jebao powerheads to a computer UPS that should give an hour of run time. We've never had a power outage longer than that so I feel pretty secure with this set up.

We also have a generator in the garage but it's a monster. So unless a power pole is down I won't be running extension cords to it

yeah, that is my generator too, like 2k or something. Weighs about 100lbs. i have a ups hooked up to a few small (80gph) powerheads in my office tank(30g). I know they lose power there all the time as it happens about once a month. I might do that for the home tank...just afraid the wife is tired of my spending on "gadgets" for the tank