Best news ever from Edison...

xthunderx

Premium Member
Supporter
Final Thoughts

Overall, I feel like I was prepared, but this wasn't worst case scenario. What could have made it worse, let's see:

1. Having no warning at all.
2. Happening in the middle of the night or during a heat wave.
3. Being out of town when outage happens.

So just because things went smooth this time around doesn't mean I got this down. Things could have been much worse, but it was a good exercise. Best thing to do now is to remember the lesson learned and grow from the experience. There are things that I missed, but hopefully this helps others make a better plan for themselves and hopefully make them think about what, if anything they could do better when it comes to keeping our tanks happy during an outage.

Thanks everyone! And Happy Reefing...

Last edited:

solitude127

Instant Ocean User
Supporter
Featured Reef
2020 POTM
Good stuff Oscar. I had a 5hr power outage last night and I should have read this again. One lesson I learned was the need to have extra extension cords.

I went through this nightmare Thursday and figure it won't be out all day....Edison said that last time when power was out only 1.5hrs. I turn on couple battery operated air pumps at 7:30am and power was out 8:15am so got home at noon and all fish was breathing heavy. My roofer contractor was working with a generator and I ask if I can plug in a few pumps...all good right?? Nope the contractor was done around 2:30pm so I call the owner of the roof company I hired and he was nice enough to let me use the generator overnight. I power up my tank and the fridge along with a couple of lamps so the kids can do their homework. Well my house was the only one with lights on the block and power was restored about 7:30pm. My tank would have been a goner if it wasn't for my roofer contractor. Gotta look into those Honda Gen

xthunderx

Premium Member
Supporter
Good stuff Oscar. I had a 5hr power outage last night and I should have read this again. One lesson I learned was the need to have extra extension cords.
It's the little things that catch us off guard sometimes. Did everything work out ok?

I went through this nightmare Thursday and figure it won't be out all day....Edison said that last time when power was out only 1.5hrs. I turn on couple battery operated air pumps at 7:30am and power was out 8:15am so got home at noon and all fish was breathing heavy. My roofer contractor was working with a generator and I ask if I can plug in a few pumps...all good right?? Nope the contractor was done around 2:30pm so I call the owner of the roof company I hired and he was nice enough to let me use the generator overnight. I power up my tank and the fridge along with a couple of lamps so the kids can do their homework. Well my house was the only one with lights on the block and power was restored about 7:30pm. My tank would have been a goner if it wasn't for my roofer contractor. Gotta look into those Honda Gen
Talk about timing, right time and place. :)

Latest posts