Spark's 50g SPS Dominated Cube

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
I am at it again... Still have my 75g waiting for me to move into a bigger place but for the time being I need something bigger then this **** frag tank I have been stuck with for the last year. So here goes the spec's on this bad boy.

Tank:

* 24x24x20 SC Aquatics 3 sided starfire rimless
* Skimmer
* Debating between my SC Aquatics that came with the tank or my Bubble Magnus NAC 3.5
* Sump: 3 camber 19x16x13

Lighting:

* 4 T5 retrofitted
* 2 Coral Plus
* 2 Blue Plus
* DIY LED's from my 75g
* 30 LEDS (20 Royal Blues, 4 Cool Blues, 3 UV’s, and 3 Natural White)
* BlueFish LED Controller
I am in the process of building a completely new canopy for this build as well using t-slot. I am not allowed to hang anything from the ceiling of my current residents so it has to be mounted to the stand or tank.

Other Equipment:
* Apex
* 2x BRS Dosing Pumps
* AquaMaxx Dosing Containers
* AquaMaxx GFO Reactor
* 2 MP-40's

Fish:
I still have my original Ocellaris Clown from my 25 gallon which will be coming into this system plus I just picked up a six line not to long ago. Not planning on any tangs in this tank as I am looking at another clown and made a few more wrasses but plan to keep it small and simple.

Corals:
The plans are to keep this primary a SPS system. I still have some of my soft corals from my prev tank (not much lost most of them in a tank crash about a year ago) but right now the current inhabitants will be the few zoo's I have left and a branching green hammer that his lasted the tank crash. After that expect to start seeing SPS populate this bad boy nice once the params are stable and I meet up with some of the wonderful people that got my SPS from my big system and as I find new and exciting frags around the web and stores.

One thing I am doing completely different from all my other systems is this time I am going to go 100% sandless. No sand in the display and no sand in the sump.

Watch this thread for photos as I start to build it over the next month. Still waiting for a few things to come in the mail and tank should be ready for my pick up soon.

Attachments

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Started the cleaning process of my main rock structure (removing corals I don't want in this tank) last night and prepped all my electronics for the move to the new tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Are you planing on sand or bb?
BB

Hey Sparky make sure you scrub them really well... you don't want xenia all over your new tank.
Exactly! But I plain to sneak all this xenia into your system when your not looking. Can't kill the little guys they are purdy flowing in the water.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Just got done doing aquascaping for the new tank. Hoping the glue holds but here is a top down and a front shot of what it should look like.

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Looking good! That's going to look great covered in sps. Are you painting the bottom of the tank? Or leaving it as it?

I'm looking forward to your use of t-slot. I plan to do the same to hang my radions. Should be great for hiding all the cords.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Spark's 50g SPS Cube

Looking good! That's going to look great covered in sps. Are you painting the bottom of the tank? Or leaving it as it?

I'm looking forward to your use of t-slot. I plan to do the same to hang my radions. Should be great for hiding all the cords.
Actually was thinking about using starboard but more and more leaning to just putting a 1" layer of bigger sand. I really do like the sand look and I don't think I want to do the whole scraping the glass thing all the time. Main concern is sand blowing everywhere with my 2x mp40's. Was not bad in my 75 but will see how it works out.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
30-40 gallons of water mixed, check! Filters in RODI cleaned, check! Picked up GFO, t5 ballast, check valve, and bulk heads from Coral Gazers, Check! New led controller installed and working, check! Man it's been a busy reef day. Tomorrow my t-slot for my lights and 30lb of sand show up. This weekend is going to be cleaning up wiring and prepping what ever else I can before the tank comes home.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Just got the tank home and rinsed out. It's late and dark outside so I'll have to take some photos tomorrow. First thing on the todo list is to paint the inside of the stand white so I can see what going on in there better. I need to go get some acrylic glue tomorrow as well as we tomorrow as we had a little mishap with the overflow box in the move but nothing a little glue won't fix.

Just got done doing aquascaping for the new tank. Hoping the glue holds but here is a top down and a front shot of what it should look like.

The rocks cape look good.
Actually was thinking about using starboard but more and more leaning to just putting a 1" layer of bigger sand. I really do like the sand look and I don't think I want to do the whole scraping the glass thing all the time. Main concern is sand blowing everywhere with my 2x mp40's. Was not bad in my 75 but will see how it works out.
somehow I like to have sand in reef tank. It give a natural look. BB or with starboard will have coralline algae grow on it and I am not big fan of it. Look into Special Grade Reef Sand (big drain size by still look good)

Just got the tank home and rinsed out. It's late and dark outside so I'll have to take some photos tomorrow. First thing on the todo list is to paint the inside of the stand white so I can see what going on in there better. I need to go get some acrylic glue tomorrow as well as we tomorrow as we had a little mishap with the overflow box in the move but nothing a little glue won't fix.

Mike, do the plumbing come with US standard? cause I saw SC tank come in Metric size.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Spark's 50g SPS Cube

The rocks cape look good.

Mike, do the plumbing come with US standard? cause I saw SC tank come in Metric size.

Not sure I'm replumbing the whole thing. I'll let you know when I start haha.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Started work on the stand this AM. I'll put another coat on it when I come home for lunch but it's time to get ready for work. Shooting for having it wet by Saturday.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Spark's 50g SPS Cube

Well I've run into the metric issue with the plumbing [MENTION=207]NVTE[/MENTION]. Thankfully SC Aquariums seams like they have great customer support and is shipping me the parts I need. So plumbing will be delayed until Friday night.

Good news finished painting the stand on my lunch break and cleaned the sump. All I need to do now is get the plumbing figured out, lights hung and tank moved in to place so I can fill it.

Well I've run into the metric issue with the plumbing [MENTION=207]NVTE[/MENTION]. Thankfully SC Aquariums seams like they have great customer support and is shipping me the parts I need. So plumbing will be delayed until Friday night.

Good news finished painting the stand on my lunch break and cleaned the sump. All I need to do now is get the plumbing figured out, lights hung and tank moved in to place so I can fill it.

Yeah, cause I help couple reefer here set up their tank and got into that problem. Also the sump can use some modification, but they might change it already.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah, cause I help couple reefer here set up their tank and got into that problem. Also the sump can use some modification, but they might change it already.
This is a used tank and I agree the sump could use some work. Would love some ideas if you feel like sharing any of them?

This is a used tank and I agree the sump could use some work. Would love some ideas if you feel like sharing any of them?

Can you post picture of it? If it is old design. I might give you idea. I can't remember which one need to work in my head now.

Latest posts