Spark's Desk Cube

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
So I've been think about doing this for a few years now. After allot of reading I've finally taken the plunge on this fun experimental tank. The idea behind this tank is to keep it simple. I'm planning on a ATO at some point but all the equipment for this tank is heater, mp10, ATO, RapidLED par38 bulb, and maybe a doser at some point if I really need it. Tank is a 12x12x12 Mr Aqua and is set on top of my desk.

Fish I plan to keep is 1-2 clones and then inverts as needed. Corel plans are zoa's and SPS. Keep watching as I start to add rock and live stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EyeReef

Admin
admin
Supporter
My Tank Build
Looking good Mike, Im looking to convert my 17g Mr Aqua planted into a reef as well. Will look forward to the progress

Smite

Premium Member
Supporter
2020 POTM
Very nice. So no sump then?

I've been thinking about picking up the 12 long for a zoanthid/ acan tank.

I did this with a 25g cube with an MP10 and heater for a few months last year, I couldn't bare the oil build up on the surface so eventually I got an eheim surface skimmer. Kinda took away from the sleekness of just an MP10 though.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Added rock from my main display and I've been doing water changes all week from my display tank water at home. So far everything has been great with this little cube. Today I got in my RapidLED par38 bulb and installed it. I'll update some photos next week.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Got the light last week and cycled the tank with live rock from my system at home. Added to clowns and a nem. Will post photos when I get to the office but everything has seamed fine in this tank. Temp has been stable and I've only gone through a gallon of freshwater over the last week. Need to get a ATO for it so I don't have to run down the street to the office every few days this holiday season. Been doing daily 64oz water changes 5 days a week. Hopefully this will be enough.

xmas_one

I did this with a 25g cube with an MP10 and heater for a few months last year, I couldn't bare the oil build up on the surface so eventually I got an eheim surface skimmer. Kinda took away from the sleekness of just an MP10 though.
Same here but with a 60F, the surface scum was such a pain. If I do another nano, it's for sure going to have an overflow/sump.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Well the office tank is almost prepped for the week and a half holiday coming up.

I'll be removing the poly filter of the MP10 today so it does not become a nitrate trap over the weekend and I'll do a 50% water change through out the week until I leave the office Wednesday so that way it will be ready for the week away. I'll also but putting a poly pad in the hang on the back filter I just put on there so that at least there will be some kind of filtration help going on since I won't be able to do my daily water changes on this guy.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Got back to the office today after being out for a week and a half. Got to say the tank held under well. I stopped in las Monday and did a 5g water change and cleaned the glass. Tank was green when I came in to the office. Today it looks like someone was ether nice enough to clean the glass with the magnet or it just did not grow anymore algae on the glass. No mater what though I've had a GHA outbreak that I'll have to clean up.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Office tank got upgraded a IM Nuvo 10!!!!! Thanks [MENTION=6423]DRSone[/MENTION]!

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Careful with those bumble bee snails Mike, they aren't completely reef safe.
Good to know. Just did some digging and I see they will eat zoa's. Anything else I need to worry about? I guess I will start removing them when I see them.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
It's been a full 24 hours now since I upgraded the tank to the IM Nuvo Fusion and so far I love it and happy I made the switch. Last night I added about 4-5 cups of dry sand to the display to give it a little more natural look for the office. Here is a updated photo.

innerspark

Premium Member
Supporter
Friday I added Garf Bonsai, Sun Burst Monti, and 2 turbo snails to this tank. Came into the office today with some nice polyp extension and 90% of all the GHA gone. Also stopped in the office Saturday and fed my RBTA. Today the nem is happy looking then I have ever seen. Water is crystal clear and it looks like I have some coralline starting to grow on my one dry piece of rock that was added last month. Now if these clowns would host grrr!

Latest posts