Pink Streak Wrasse on it's side

I just got a pink streaked wrasse from diver's den on tuesday. Now it has been laying on it's side and almost looks like it's on it's way out. now it's lying on it's side most of the time and breathing a little hard. the helfrichi seems fine and isn't breathing hard.

i put the fish in a bucket of fresh salt water to start the tank transfer method. i matched the SG at 1.025 and floated the bag for 20 minutes. i opened the bag and then took out the fish after about 5 minutes after opening the bag. when it was in the bucket initially it kept trying to swim into the ground and would try to push even harder into the ground and then stop. i'm not sure how to really describe it.

i tried feeding spectrum fish pellets and and brine shrimp i don't really see it eating. There is a helfrichi in there too with him, and i think the helfrichi is eating most of the food.

is there anything i can do at this point?

Your suppose to acclimate slowly not instantly. I float the bag for 20min, then I Starr adding saltwater from the tank (I use urine test cup) add one full cup every 15-20 min 4-5 times. You do it with tank water though, not a fresh batch

I don't know what I'd do next, but I typically don't quarantine Diver's Den stuff because they're pretty solid. However, that's just my take on it. If it passes, rest assured you'll either get another specimen or your money back, minus shipping. They have great customer service.

Your suppose to acclimate slowly not instantly. I float the bag for 20min, then I Starr adding saltwater from the tank (I use urine test cup) add one full cup every 15-20 min 4-5 times. You do it with tank water though, not a fresh batch
i didn't think i had to drip if i already matched the salinity of the bag. for my knowledge, would i still need to acclimate it slowly if the SG matched? i've done it this way with other fish and it seemed fine.

I don't know what I'd do next, but I typically don't quarantine Diver's Den stuff because they're pretty solid. However, that's just my take on it. If it passes, rest assured you'll either get another specimen or your money back, minus shipping. They have great customer service.
yea i thought that too about quarantine, but i have also heard some horror stories. liveaquaria even ships a slip of paper that suggests you quarantine for a minimum of 2 weeks. so they take out shipping? that kind of sucks cause this is like a 40 dollar fish... i'm basically paying for a new fish.

Wrasses sometimes play dead
yea i'm hoping that's it, but it swam to the top then slowly sank down until his tail hit the bottom of the bucket. every time i check on it, it's on it's side. when i move it though it swims a little. i guess time will tell?

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
Is it still in the bucket? My royal gramma and gold assessor both did this during the acclimation process. They didn't behave normally until they'd been in the tank for a bit. During acclimation they laid on their sides and played dead.

i didn't think i had to drip if i already matched the salinity of the bag. for my knowledge, would i still need to acclimate it slowly if the SG matched? i've done it this way with other fish and it seemed fine.

yea i thought that too about quarantine, but i have also heard some horror stories. liveaquaria even ships a slip of paper that suggests you quarantine for a minimum of 2 weeks. so they take out shipping? that kind of sucks cause this is like a 40 dollar fish... i'm basically paying for a new fish.
Well, note that Live Aquaria and Diver's Den are two separate entities. You pay a whole lot more money for DD fish which are conditioned and quarantined. But that's just been my experience. None of the ones I bought from DD ever spread anything. And yeah, they do take off shipping. BUT, if you order another one, then they pay for shipping. So long as the fish is still in stock, then you might be good. But that's another thing about DD, it's WYSIWYG.

Is it still in the bucket? My royal gramma and gold assessor both did this during the acclimation process. They didn't behave normally until they'd been in the tank for a bit. During acclimation they laid on their sides and played dead.
yea they're still in the bucket. the helfrichi is cruising around normally. i think the pink streak is dead now... it's not responding to me even touching it. should i take it out?

Well, note that Live Aquaria and Diver's Den are two separate entities. You pay a whole lot more money for DD fish which are conditioned and quarantined. But that's just been my experience. None of the ones I bought from DD ever spread anything. And yeah, they do take off shipping. BUT, if you order another one, then they pay for shipping. So long as the fish is still in stock, then you might be good. But that's another thing about DD, it's WYSIWYG.
well sorry i shouldn't say just say liveaquaria. but there is a slip of paper that came with the fish that tells you to quarantine the fish. ahh that really sucks about shipping... getting tired of paying for overnight shipping. it's expensive each time.

i think the wrasse is dead, it's not responding to touch now too. should i take it out or wait a little more. problem is i have to go now.

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
If you have to go and you're sure it's dead, take it out so the ammonia doesn't kill the other fish while you're gone. Sorry. :(

If you have to go and you're sure it's dead, take it out so the ammonia doesn't kill the other fish while you're gone. Sorry. :(
yea now i'm sure it's dead... sigh. it had some stringy stuff on it when i moved it out. no signs of aggression from the other fish. i guess i'll be putting in a claim.

thanks for being fast with the advice guys.

Did you take it out already?

I have a mystery wrasse that I thought I was going to lose that I had just purchased. I had it in an acclimation box. Wouldn't swim and would lay on its side. Formed mucus around it. But I still saw it breathing so I kept him. Next morning he was fine

Did you take it out already?

I have a mystery wrasse that I thought I was going to lose that I had just purchased. I had it in an acclimation box. Wouldn't swim and would lay on its side. Formed mucus around it. But I still saw it breathing so I kept him. Next morning he was fine
Well when I touched the fish it was stiff... It wasn't breathing anymore either so I figured it was dead.