Question on my parameters and need advice.

chireef

Hey everyone,
Well you know and saw my tank and I have a 60gallon DT with a 30 gallon sump. I run a mix reef and I have a good amount of sps corals.
Water: I use Scripps water NSW
I tested today and my results were
Salinity= 1.023
PO4=0
NO3=5
CA=440
Alk=10.6 dkh
MG=1600ppm

I understand my Mg,alk, no3 are high and I was wondering if you guys and give me advice on lowering it and keeping all my levels stable.

Any advice and examples of your parameters will greatly be appreciated.

I want to learn to keep sps successful so I know the help of fellow reefers will benefit me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you dosing? Are you sure your test kits are accurate? How big of a bio load? Are you running a skimmer? Ive never used scripps but id recommend using the right salt for your setup id start with something lower like regular instant ocean or regular red sea something stable and test daily and see what your tank is consuming.. as far as nitrate there are many ways to bring it down skimming wet will help along with some algae or carbon dosing

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Not sure about the stats on scripps water since I have not used it before but alk and mag seem high to me based on natural sea water levels typically found in reefs. Also salinity is a little on the low side. Natural sea water I tested in the past was around 1.028-1.030. Maybe someone who uses scripps water can chime in. With the storm season coming up, I would also think twice about using nsw since you don't know what kind of crap that can be drained from the city to the ocean and how far off the shore the water is collected. Just my opinion but one of the best things I did in reefing was to control my own water quality and making my own water.