Remote/display fuge drilling & plumbing brainstorm

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
Okay, the newb needs help again. I just picked up a 30g undrilled tank with the intention of running the return off my manifold and draining it back into my sump. So here come the questions!

- I have two unused 1/2" manifold outlets and plenty of power left in my return (Jebao 6000 running at 3rd of 6 settings). Drill for one 1/2" return or two? What are issues/drawbacks to using both manifold outlets? (My reactors run off their own pump.)
- How big to drill the drain?
- Drain into the skimmer section or fuge section in the sump? Looking to increase pod population.
- What else am I not thinking of? :)

Do you know if the glass is tempered? From my recollection I'm pretty sure you can't drill on tempered glass. I you are able to, I'd say drill one return and one drain. I'd stick with the 1/2" for your return, and do 1" for the drain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
Do you know if the glass is tempered? From my recollection I'm pretty sure you can't drill on tempered glass. I you are able to, I'd say drill one return and one drain. I'd stick with the 1/2" for your return, and do 1" for the drain.
It's not tempered (Oceanic) but thanks for looking out for the noob just in case. :) I'll probably have someone else do the actual drilling, as well.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I would do 2 - 1" drains, one being an emergency overflow. That way you can add a gate valve to create a full syphon so u dont get the gurgling sound. I have the drill hole saw for a 1" bulkhead if interested in borrowing. Do dual returns but just split it with a Y and use one "outlet" on your manifold just in case you need an outlet later on.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
I would do 2 - 1" drains, one being an emergency overflow. That way you can add a gate valve to create a full syphon so u dont get the gurgling sound. I have the drill hole saw for a 1" bulkhead if interested in borrowing. Do dual returns but just split it with a Y and use one "outlet" on your manifold just in case you need an outlet later on.

I know how an emergency drain works in a bottom-drilled tank, but how would it be placed in one that's drilled high on a side? One above the other? Sorry if I'm being dense.

Safety is definitely a big factor, it's why I don't want to use a HOB overflow that depends on a siphon.

Zoarder

2020 Philanthropist
Supporter
2020 POTM
I know how an emergency drain works in a bottom-drilled tank, but how would it be placed in one that's drilled high on a side? One above the other? Sorry if I'm being dense.

Safety is definitely a big factor, it's why I don't want to use a HOB overflow that depends on a siphon.
Yeah get and overflow box make two holes, one higher that the other. I would add two 90 degree thread to barb so i can move the height of the water level.

Coelli

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah get and overflow box make two holes, one higher that the other. I would add two 90 degree thread to barb so i can move the height of the water level.

Oh, that's a really good idea! Thanks!

Latest posts